locking diff

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GERRY
True Blue

locking diff

Post by GERRY »

I am trying to get the locking diff to work. it hasnt worked since igot it, my last attempt to get it to work about a year ago ended with me throwing the towel in :( the pedel was laying on the foot board, igot this all freed up and it now sits up correctly , only problem when pushed down it dosent engage or lock the wheels, i am now thinking that something in side the axel housing is broke, ihave seen berring in the parts manual is this the part that normaly gets busted on the diff and is it a easy fix if i take off the trumpet housing. Any reply would be very welcome on this before i start on it again . Gerry

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

it will only engage the diff lock if a wheel is spinning, if it still does'nt work try removing the rod attatched to the pedal and increaese the pressure on the spring by screwing in the threaded bit :)
sometimes you need 4!!!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The dif lock on Dexta is not like the Super Major which has a splined coupling that goes across the dif gears. On a Dexta it is a spring loaded dog clutch that engages on the outer housing of the dif. This dog clutch can break up and so you will have no contact with the outer housing. You will need to remove the axle shaft complete from the side with the dif lock to check/repair. Its not a bad job but you will need some sort of lifting gear if you are on your own.

Two of us replacesd a half shaft in Fergy a week or so ago and the Dexta is around the same weight. We lifted it in and out.
Last edited by Brian on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

locking diff

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for your quick replys dexta4 /Brian, just to confirm before i rip into this, i have to take all the nuts off trumpet housing/ not the nuts on the shaft behind brake plate, now when these nuts / bolts have been taken off the compleat axel will come off , there is nothing that or can fall or break, it should just pull apart , i wll have it on ablock /tackel and a trolley jack . when apart can the dog clutch if that is the poblem be bought new at ford dealers or agriline or is it a scrap part i will need , also is there anything else i should replace when i get in this far. Gerry

GERRY
True Blue

locking diff

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for your quick replys dexta4 /Brian, just to confirm before i rip into this, i have to take all the nuts off trumpet housing/ not the nuts on the shaft behind brake plate, now when these nuts / bolts have been taken off the compleat axel will come off , there is nothing that or can fall or break, it should just pull apart , i wll have it hung on ablock /tackel and a trolley jack under it . when apart can the dog clutch if that is the poblem be bought new at ford dealers or agriline or is it a scrap part i will need , also is there anything else i should replace when i get in this far. Gerry
Last edited by GERRY on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

yes just the nuts on trumpet housing unless you want to extract the half shaft,if i remember right it should just pull apart been a few years since i done one though!!! nothing will drop out unless somthing is broke! i think you may have to source a second hand one, while its in bits i'd check your hydraulic arm mounting pin nut is tight seen theese come loose before, send me your email address and i'll try and send you a workshop manual link or if you look at stefans site you can download the work shop manual that will give you a few pointers!
http://www.fordson-dexta.de/
Last edited by dexta4 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sometimes you need 4!!!

GERRY
True Blue

locking diff

Post by GERRY »

Thanks dexta4 iwill put anew bolt for arms on the housing that makes sense , i have some data that i downloaded off this site along time ago is this the same as yours or is it different, Gerry

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

email didn't work! i've just got an old work shop manual that i scanned its the same as the one on stefans site so i'll put a link to that..
http://www.fordson-dexta.de/downloads/section7.pdf
sometimes you need 4!!!

GERRY
True Blue

locking diff

Post by GERRY »

thanks again dexta 4 for the link ill have to try and sorce a back end before i start this i think i know where there is one laying , i did not think the email would work,

Emil Nyman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Emil Nyman »

I have the same problem on my Super Dexta.
GERRY, can you take some photos when you do the operation?
Ford 3000 -69
ÅLÖ Quicke loader
ÅLÖ snowblower
Fordson Super Dexta -64
MF Robur III -68

GERRY
True Blue

diff lock

Post by GERRY »

Hi Emil ihave just got the old back end home ,the fellow igot it off said it had been laying for along time and alot of parts had been robbed off it , i haven,nt gotten around to inspect it properly but the diff lock leaver seems to work ok ,when i get around to ill let you know i get on, the phots might be a problem though i have never sent any before :oops: ill have to learn to do this it would be a big help for myself even when iam trying to discribe something on the site, Gerry

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Just to up date on the locking diff , have not got any pictures , but got the trumprt housing off it came apart with little difficulty , just undid the nuts after having it suported with b/tackel and a trolley jack under it, i put a screwer driver in the join and it just came apart . Thought that the compleat diff lock would have been inthe trumpet housing but only the fork is there the rest connected to diff side . does not seem to be anything worng but ican now see how it works as icould not figure it out from the digrams, ? Could someone advise how to take the dog clutch off from this point there seem to be a sort of clip holding it on but can,t figure out how to take this off , Gerry

Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Diff Lock

Post by Mike »

Hello, Mike here from Australia.

I'm only new to the forum and I'm not sure how to include a photo of my Dexta....Can someone help?

I didn't know that Dextas had a diff lock...I thought it was only the Super Dextas and the Majors. I am keen to know a bit more.

Thanks

Mike.
[/img][/list]

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Gerry,

We haven't had an update as to whether you managed to remove the dog clutch! Just in case you haven't removed it I checked the one that I have which is on the floor, so access is a lot easier than if it is in the tractor.

I managed to engage the dog clutch by pressing on it with my hand, this removed the pressure on the washer which is under the spring clip thus allowing the clip to be removed. Ideally you require two people, one to compress the spring and one to remove the clip, thus ensuring that the whole lot does not fly into space when the spring is released.

Gerald

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

HIi Mike an Gerald its good to see your interest on this one .the dexta did have the locking diff the same as the super it also just for interest had the mech/ inject/ pump, I did get the pin out i was on my own so the way i got it out was by pushing the dog clutch foward as Gerald said and placing athick washer on its edge inthe gap , this left me with both hands free and iwas then able to prise the clip out with two flat headed screwdrivers, it did scoot across the shed but iwas able to retrive it ok. The edges of the dog clutches were worn ithink this is my problem the ones on the donner backend are in better shape so i ,will use these , Ill let you know how i get on , Gerry