Remote Control Valve Question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bill Cox
True Blue

Remote Control Valve Question

Post by Bill Cox »

As previously reported, I have an oil leak from the remote control valve assembly of my 64 Super Dexta. Upon examination, I have determined that the oil is leaking from what my 1977 issue parts manual calls a PLUG, Oil Passage. The part appears on page 28 of the manual as part 28 in the exploded view with a part number of E148-WP-9. It seals a passage next to the flow control valve passage. The manual indicates that the part is "no longer serviced".

The June 1961 shop manual supplement shows the part on page 47 in figure 58 and calls the part a "retainer" .

I removed the valve assembly from the tractor and tapped out the tension pin shown as item 27 in the exploded view and part # 116316-ES in the parts list. I cannot determine how to remove the plug so that I can replace whatever sort of seal is in there. I hope it is an O ring.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to remove the plug? I tried compressed air but haven't had any luck. The compressed air did blow oil around the plug but did not budge the plug itself. I have considered trying to drill a small hole part way through it, then thread the hole, insert a screw/bolt, and try to pull it out with slide hammer.

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

put it back on the tractor hold a large tub under the plug, start her with one hand on the stopper ready for when it pops out!!! pour your oil back into the rear end through a funnel with a sieve in.. it is just an o ring that you have to change, this is how i got mine out a bit crude but it worked for me.
ps make sure your tub is big enough!! :lol:
sometimes you need 4!!!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

In service, the drill and threaded hole was used on certain of the plugs, in others a number of ball bearings was inserted down the gallery and then levered with a screw driver.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Thanks for the suggestion and advice.

I did consider your suggestion dexta4. However, I decided to ask first just in case there was another solution :wink:

I understand the ball bearing concept, I'll just have to find some the correct size and give it a try. I can report that as I thought a soft wire that can be bent to pass down the gallery is not rigid enough to push out the plug :wink:

I am not keen on drilling a plug for which I may be unable to get a replacement.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Bill,

Just weld the hole and it will be fine. Did that some years ago with succes.

Regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The drilling of the plug is no big deal, you do not go right through. You will find that you only need a small shallow hole as the problem is not a tight plug, just one you cannot grip. They usually come out with a pair of pliers.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Thank you all. You guys are a tremendous asset.