changed the air cleaner oil today

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

changed the air cleaner oil today

Post by terry274 »

When I bought my tractor last summer I cleaned the air cleaner can, the wire mesh filter, and put new oil in the can. The tractor has only been run a few hours, I have used about 15 or 20 gallons of fuel in the last year. I was very surprised today when I checked it to find thick muck in the bottom of the can. The air cleaner obviously works very well!
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Terry,

When I was teaching drivers to operate their tractors, I would try and train them to look at working conditions then decide whether or not to check the oil bath in the air cleaner.

If you are working in a dry dusty climate, the air cleaner needs to be checked daily, and some times twice a day.

If it is a damp climate, then once a week should be enough.

We were always told to emphasise that, roughly, to burn 1 gallon of diesel takes nearly 2000 "gallons" of air and all of that has to go through the air cleaner.

The figures might not be 100% accurate but it makes you think about what you are doing when you're working your tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Is there any advantage in installing a precleaner on the air intake of a Dexta/Super Dexta like on a 1000 series Ford in dusty conditions?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Anything that will reduce the dust being drawn into the air cleaner will help.

The "top hat" pre cleaner that is supplied is designed to swirl the air and clean some of the heavier particles but the longer stack and the later pre-cleaners were more efficient.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian