New Performance Blue

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RossM
True Blue

New Performance Blue

Post by RossM »

Is the blue paint for a New Performance Super Dexta a different shade to the earlier dextas or are they all empire blue? It could be my eyes being tricked due to the grey wings but some of the restorations i've seen recently look a lighter blue.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The blue changed with the introduction of the "New Performance" tractors in 1963. It is a lighter blue than Empire Blue.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

What colour blue do i need? Does anyone know a good supplier?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:The blue changed with the introduction of the "New Performance" tractors in 1963. It is a lighter blue than Empire Blue.
Is that right?
I'm painting my standard Dexta New Holland Empire Blue, as per Stefan http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... .php?t=559
It is quite a light blue. I thought the New Performance Dextas were darker?
When I stripped my Dexta the the original blue was light close to the Empire Blue I'm using. But it had been sprayed over with a darker blue, which I thought was the New Peformance colour.
All the best,
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The New Performance Blue is lighter at least it was on the new tractors from Fords.

You will find that different paint manufacturers all have their own interpretation.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

I guess if no one is marketing the New Performance Blue then I'll have to try and find an original unmolestered bit of paint on mine and get a match made up.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

The NP blue is a bit lighter than the empire Blue.
My NP super is painted in NP blue, The hooter car is empire blue, as you can see on the pic( I cant) I have repainted the tomb stone with empire blue to see the difference but it verry hard to see

But I do still see it on my New Performance Major but it is a little
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

lars
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lars »

Hello

Two weeks ago I buy a NP Super Dexta (09D 905445 all casting codes from jan -64) to day I but paint from my NH dealer to test he colour grey "A" is orginal and "B" is grey for ex ford 2000 (NH 9973416) so I think It is better to go to a colorshop with a fender and get the cololur mixed

Next test is inside bonnet I rubbed an area that not look like its repainted and paint with Empire Blue and I think the diffrens is clear.

Regards/ Lars

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

I tried a similar exercise here on my 64 New Performance Super Dexta

I've also come to the conclusion that getting the paint matched is the best way forward. You can also select decent paint that way, and in the right quantities.

I've just finished building the barn to do up the tractor I bought in 2005 - so expect some questions!

Here's a link to what I started back in 2005 - I'll add to it as I renovate it. http://www.mount-pleasant-farm.co.uk/de ... efore.html

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello all,

I also think matching colours is the best way to go. Otherwise you should think, that the paint still on the tractors is at least 45 years old by now. Light, dust, diesel, cleaning etc have also changed the colour a bit from new. This also on the protected parts inside the tractor I think. Also I think that in the 1960's not every batch of paint would have had exactly the same shade and also the way of applying can give some colour differences. So, if the colour almost matches you should think it is fine.

My daily job is in the cladding of facades. There we have sometimes a colour difference in a batch of facade panels, because a minor detail in the the manufacturing proces was different among the batch.

Just some thoughts on the topic.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Just tried "new major Blue" from Vintage tractor spares and its the closest yet to the true colour of my 1964 NP dexta. The paint is made for them by Withams of Lincoln - appointment to the queen don't you know. Its called empire blue by them.

http://www.vintagetractorspares.co.uk/v ... paint.html

http://www.withamgroup.co.uk/tds370.pdf

I've got the "new major grey" as well I'll let you know how it matches when I get chance.