front hub retaining nuts

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dextrous
True Blue

front hub retaining nuts

Post by Dextrous »

Hi

What size/thread are the castle nuts that hold the front hubs onto the stub axles?

I've just removed mine, along with a collection of nails that acted as cotter pins and washers and removed grease that resembled valve grinding paste mixed with cow dung.

Both nuts didn't seem to fit properly and I was expecting them to be opposite threads - but they were both right hand, although one nut may have been pushed onto a left hand thread - I'll have a look tomorrow when I get another tractor tinkering window.

Agriline don't list any hub retaining nuts under Dexta but they do under the MF FE35 at £2.50 a pair, part no. 5463, I wonder if these are the same size?

I'm hoping to get away with keeping the existing spindles, I need to renew the kingpin bushes/seals but haven't removed them yet to check for wear - are they usually salvageable?

I'll need new hub retaining nuts either way - if anybody knows if the FE35 are the same size or an alternative supply let me know.

One last question (for tonight :wink: ) what does Agriline mean when it states "spindle L/H early 2000 10.75" long" for its Dexta spindles? Does this mean there are other options for the dexta and this will only fit the post 64 ford dextas?

Many Thanks in advance.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The nuts are both RH 3/4" UNF.

The Sparex catalogue also specifies 10.75" long. I measured a new one and it was just under 10.75"

Gerald

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Many thanks Gerald

I've got the spindles out and I'm psyching myself up for the removal of the kingpin bushes.

I've heard these are a bit of a pig - if anybody has a tried and tested technique then I'm all ears.

Regards
Andy

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The original bushes are split and my method for removal is to try and find the split, then collaspe the bush by careful use of a diamond or fine pointed chisel in the region of the split. If you are careful the bush will come away from the casting then you can use a screwdriver to free it off completely.

Ideally when fitting new bushes they require the use of a mandrel slightly smaller than their bore to prevent them collasping.

Gerald

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Thanks again Gerald - I'll get my tool maker friend to make mandrels for me - unless I can convince my dad that his turning days are over and I cans steal his lathe.

I'm slowly getting a long list of nuts and bolts that need replacing - I've looked at this site and it seems to have most of the things I need http://www.namrick.co.uk - does anybody have any recommendations of places to get fixings?

Regards
Andy

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I have used Namrick on a number of occasions and have found them to be very good. The only problem is their range above 1/2" is limited.

If you get stuck go to www.sparex.com they have a very comprehensive selection of imperial nuts and bolts and there are several dealers up your way.

Gerald