Dexta radiator and grille mounted lights

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dextrous
True Blue

Dexta radiator and grille mounted lights

Post by Dextrous »

Unless my NP super dexta is missing something (highly likely!) then it seems odd to put something like a head lamp that is only mounted at the bottom closely in front of the radiator.

The existing radiator has areas of repair behind the head lamps where presumably the headlamps have been pushed back into it - it wouldn't take much of a tap to do this. I doubt if my headlamps are original, these may have been shallower than the current ones. However this begs two questions :-

1.) Has anyone else been concerned about this and strengthened the fixings - if so pictures would be useful. I don't want to put a guard on the front.

2.) Are replacement radiators from Agriline etc. any good and in keeping with the orginal or should I get the original re-cored?

Regards
Andy

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Dextrous,

I too have a NP Super Dexta, my radiator has the slight depressions in it where the headlamps have been pushed back, unfortunately the lamps had been removed before I bought the tractor. I don't have any experience of agrilines radiators unfortunately. It might be worth looking into recoreing yours as the cost won't be much different I don't think.

Where abouts on the lancs/w yorks border are you, i'm in poulton near blackpool and willing to offer assistance if you ever need it with your tractor.

Ross
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Ross

I'm in the hills above Todmorden so not too far away. The girlfriend and kids are in Blackpool today, we can get the train direct from near here so makes it a low stress day out.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. The front axle, steering, engine, tin work and electrics don't worry me too much - I think I can handle them easily enough. However the hydraulics and back axle I think I'm going to find a bit of a challenge......

I think I'll get the radiator re-cored then weld a frame behind the lights to protect the radiator a bit. Design to be determined......

Regards
Andy

Bensdexta
True Blue

Recoring your radiator

Post by Bensdexta »

Dextrous wrote:I think I'll get the radiator re-cored then weld a frame behind the lights to protect the radiator a bit. Design to be determined......
Hi bought a repro radiator from Agriline for my standard Dexta. It is made by Kada (Turkish). I've no reason to think it won't do the job - Agriline are good to deal with re any faulty parts etc, but I decided not to use it and got my original radiator recored by Deeside Radiators, nr Chester. These folks are all ex Serck Services (a management buy-out) and still do a steady trade refurbing Fordson radiators. They do a first class job, including painting in the correct blue, with heat resistant paint. The price is a bit more than a repro rad, but worth the extra IMHO.
Before:
After:

Ref the problem with lights in the grill, I have bull bars on the front of my DX, standard fit with a front loader, which I have.
All the best
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dextrous
True Blue

Re: Recoring your radiator

Post by Dextrous »

Bensdexta wrote: and got my original radiator recored by Deeside Radiators, nr Chester.
Many thanks Ben, I can feel a trip to the zoo coming on....

Andy

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Andy,

Let us know if you get the rad re-cored and where you get it done. I might consider getting mine done.

Ross
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

No Problem Ross - it may be a while as she's been stood for nearly 4 years and I'm going to start her with the existing radiator to see the state of the engine etc. before stripping her down completely. I've got the starter motor on the bench now.

Just cleaned out the air filter - not sure how it got any air into it before.....

Regards
Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

RossM wrote:Andy,

Let us know if you get the rad re-cored and where you get it done. I might consider getting mine done.
Ross

I've been looking up local auto radiator repairers and there's one in Blackburn about 14 miles away from me. I'm going to call them this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Auto Radiator Repairs
19 Spring St
Rishton, Blackburn, BB1 4LL
01254 884725

Regards
Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

RossM wrote:Andy,

Ross

Ross

Just had the radiator recored at :-

Auto Radiator Repairs
19 Spring St
Rishton, Blackburn, BB1 4LL
01254 884725

Decent enough job £135, in the black. They had radiators for a MF and a Fergie ready for pick-up when I was there, seems a few local enthusiasts use them.

If you want the original tap and the radiator sprayed blue then you will need to supply the paint and a replacement tap if its faulty. Otherwise its a black finish and they will put a modern tap on it.

I had mine pressure tested as its a late Dexta and I think they had a pressurised system, however older ones may not be and the original tap is therefore not likely to leak as it will under a pressure test.

Regards
Andy

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Andy,
Sounds good.
Just a note to say that Deeside Rads will paint in heat resistant Empire Blue for above price.

I offered them New Holland Empire Blue but they said they prefer to use their own paint, which is a vg match, as it will stand the heat. They do quite alot of Fordson rads.
All the best,
Ben

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Ben

I did consider Deeside radiators however as these were only 15 miles away it seemed easier than couriers. I think normal tractor paint should stand the temperature of a radiator however if its heat resistant then that should be on top of the job.

I'm going to spray the radiator blue except for the core, I can't see any reason to change the colour from black in terms of heat dissipation.

Cheers
Andy

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dextrous wrote:I can't see any reason to change the colour from black in terms of heat dissipation.
Yes in theory black is best for heat dissipation.