fuel reserve on Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

fuel reserve on Super Dexta

Post by terry274 »

I ran out of fuel yesterday while using the bush hog. The tank still had about two gallons left. I replaced the fuel tap this spring, the primer was bad on the old tap. I am not satisfied with the quality of the new tap, it will only open 1/4 of a turn, and when closed it still drips fuel.
My question is, how does the reserve work? I read the manual and understand the tap needs to be open two turns to use the fuel, and all the way to use the reserve. But how does this happen? There is no pipe in the tank, only a screen to filter trash.
So I don't understand how a reserve is available since the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank.
How many gallons is the reserve?
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Originally there was a stand pipe in the tap filter. Opening the tap two turns allowed fuel to flow down that pipe. There was also a drilling in the lower part of the tap which opened when the tap was fully open.

The problem with this was all the gunge collected at the bottom of the tank over time and blocked the lower hole so the two stage tap was discontinued.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: fuel reserve on Super Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

terry274 wrote:I replaced the fuel tap this spring, the primer was bad on the old tap. I am not satisfied with the quality of the new tap, it will only open 1/4 of a turn, and when closed it still drips fuel.
Terry,
Do you know what make your tap is? They seem to be troublesome items.

Can anyone recommend a supplier of good ones that work well?
All the best,
Ben

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Sorry Ben, I do not know the name of the supplier. I think the tap was manufactured in Turkey, but I am not sure. I still have my old tap and some day I plan on attempting to repair it by following Stefan Riegel's site.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta