berabox ball bearings

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

berabox ball bearings

Post by niallsdexta »

Hello All,
I have a quick question, I am refurbing the gearbox on my super dexta , the plungers springs and balls were all in a bad way, the springs were missing under 2 of the plungers which is why I think she was slipping out of gear. I rang my local part supplier and they tell me that these parts cannot be got new and they will not give me second hand ones as they say it will ruin the gearboxes they have there. My question is that the book calls up 3/8 ball bearings, are they all the same diameter, and what about the spring are they all the same diameter length and spring strength? Also the plungers should they all be the same length. Thanks for the help.
Niall.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I would say that the springs and the plungers are all the same.

Gerald

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Yep,as i am working on my gearbox now,i had the chance of measuring those parts.
Indeed all 3 are the same size.
Balls and springs are a little under 3/8 diameter and the springs are 1 inch long.
Plungers are 3/8 by 1 5/16.

Good luck.
Rob.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

just on the subject of the ball bearings how do you get them out, i have replaced the plungers and the springs with second/hand ones but have never been able to get the ballbearings out , idont know if there are any in mine or if they are seized or not . Gerry

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

I used a magnetic pickup tool,the one that looks just like a car antenna.
The tip is magnetic,and if the little parts are not too stuck,you can lift them out.
Mine were a little bit rusty,so i used loads of WD40,and gently tapped the balls with a bolt.
Then used the shiftrail to push them up again.
After a day or 3 they came out.
Take your time and be gentle.
Clean the area where the springs used to sit,rust builds up there,and that narrows the passage.
Diesel works fine too,and it's cheaper than WD40.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks dunggatherer ill give it a go must see if i can get me a smaller tel / magnet the one ihave is to big, Gerry

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

I remembered this from a while back. I also seem to remember Brian saying use a mixture of 1 qt. ATF in 1 gal. of diesel fuel. I think he quipped about the ATF making your hands soft.

Tmac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:40 am Post subject: Effective low cost PENETRATING OIL, you will need lots of it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This home brew is an effective low cost (relative, compared to commercial versions)

Others have recommend this mix but add the Acetone. Makes a big difference.

Rust removal you can use phosphoric acid, Lime Away, or electrolytic dip in a washing soda.

Home brew; Use Dextron ATF, the red stuff, then add 1/4 by volume, Acetone, or Keytone and if you must add a light oil also, use what is called Kerosene in the USA or Shellsol a parts cleaning solvent of this type. This mix can be Varied as needed. or you can just buy the best Aero Kroil!
Delta Blue

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Ah ha! I found the thread:
The PARTS SWAP forum! PENETRATING OIL
Stevo Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:20 am
If it doesn't make your hands soft, call Brian :lol:
Delta Blue

niallsdexta
True Blue

gearbox ball bearings

Post by niallsdexta »

ok there were no balls at the bottom, so i went and got some 3/8 ball bearing balls, i droped the first one in and it went half way down and now its stuck solid! waht do I do now, a magnet will not lift it back out! any suggestions? the ball bearing is the correct size it is 3/8 and measures 3/8, should i just gently tap it on down, I am hoping it is just stuck in some dirt, but i cleaned out the hole good!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Assuming that the selector rod is still fitted I would put plenty of Diesel or releasoil in the hole where the ball bearing is and let it soak. I would then gently tap the ball down on to the selector rod so that it sits in one of the dentents in the rod, if you now move the gear lever the rod should push the ball back up again. Repeat this operation until the ball is free.

Should this fail then the only other solution is to strip the gearbox and remove the selector rod and punch the ball down into the bore of the selector rod and retrieve it.

Gerald

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

That sucks.
When i measured the balls i found they were a little under 3/8 inch.
Your best bet would probably be going for metric.
I would choose 9 millimeter balls then.
Also the springs should be under 3/8 orthey would get stuck.

Now how to remove the stuck ball?
You could try a stickwelder,underpower it,and let the stick weld itself to the ball.
Then you can pull it out.
Be careful not to touch the sides of the hole.

Good luck.
Rob.

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

got it out thank god, a good soaking and i ran a 9.5 drillbit in the hole then soaked again and it lifted out with a magnet, took a while of lifting and poking with a scriber and so on but its out, i cleaned up the holes in the gearbox with a steel bar and wet and dry paper and now all the balls springs and plungers fit lovely and loose.

thanks again for all your help suggestions were very much appreciated.
Niall