Just to get the top off...

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
roromac
True Blue

Just to get the top off...

Post by roromac »

Finally I decided to take the hydraulic top off as the lift is now highly reluctant to bring up the arms. Previous symptons suggest the pin is worn.
The trouble is, I can't even get as far as removing the pin that connects the adjusting box to the lift arm. i drifted the other side out - surprised to have to, but it wasn't that tight.
This side, even using the other pin as a drift, the pin is stuck half way. I can only assume there was enough clearance to expand the end of the pin as i hit it within the sleeve and lock it. Don't know why it was tight in the first place. Don't know how I'm going to remove it. Heat on the knuckle?
Any ideas?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Take your linkage arm off and then remove the arm from the splined shaft on the lift.

Then you can get it on an anvil or some other support to give it some welly.

You have probably burred the end of the pin and that is why it is stuck.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian wrote:to give it some welly.
Brian
Please explain your meaning of welly.
I know you mean force, but interested in your interpritation of the word.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

"To give it some welly" sound like something Arther Daley/George Cole would say. You might have to get some "Minder" DVD's Kev. :)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Kev,

Think there could be an agricultural and boot connection.

Welly as in Wellington Boot, or even Duke of Wellington versus Napoleon. (Oops that's upset all our French friends). (Our government invited the French to the Battle of Waterloo anniversary celebrations! :oops: Well if they had not been there in the first place, there would never have been a battle).

Perhaps that is why we were left out of the recent D-Day landing commemoration.

We always talked of "giving it welly" when driving, another one was "a heavy right foot"

But you also gave Ransomes TS 82, 83 and 84 plough headstocks loads of "welly" when you were trying to get the main pin out with a 14lb hammer. Or even Claas Senator drum drive pulleys.

It is a word I have used since the 1950's so predates "Minder" by many years.

I might also have said "give it a good wang or two". :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I find that the best way to remove tight pins is to work them back and forth with plenty of release oil or Diesel.

If there is a possibility that the end has spread I would suggest that you knock the pin back again and dress the end with a file and then try to drive it out. Any high or tight spots on the pin will show as bright spots. You may have to repeat this a few times until the pin is free.

Gerald

JC

Post by JC »

Kev and Brian,
I had never heard the word welly until I watched a Wallace and Grommit flick with my kids or grandkids. I like the word, but people look at you strangely when you use it over here in the "colonies" :lol: