engine R.P.M vs. P.T.O speed

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

engine R.P.M vs. P.T.O speed

Post by terry274 »

At what engine RPM will 540 RPM be attained for the PTO? On the proofmeter, 1800 engine RPM is marked as "S.T.D PTO". This seems rather fast.
What would be the optimal speed for fuel economy and least engine wear?
Thanks,
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Terry
I think that the PTO turns 760 rpm at 2200 engine rpm, so 1563 engine rpm= 540 PTO rpm. I have that info. written on a piece of paper, but I don't remember where I got it, so you may want to get a second opinion :)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

1800 rpm is 540. That is the engine speed that is best for the engine when under load. It is between max hp and max torque and the engine should be run at around this speed when in work to get best fuel consumption, best wear charicteristics and long engine life.

Too low revs/light work = :cry: Worn out engine.

Too many revs with no load/ engine not being worked = :cry: Worn out engine.

Full load at 1800 revs = :D Happy engine for many years.

We are lucky we do not collect John Deere tractors. The PTOspeed for 540 comes in at 2600 rpm. It used to be painful to set them up on fertilizer spreaders! :twisted:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skipdow »

Are those numbers the same for petrol too?
My petrol Dexta seems to only have two positions for the revs.... on and off. The carburetor is pretty worn and I've never been able to find a replacement. It has no problems working hard tho.

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Hello Brian
It is correct on Dextas after aug. 1960 with a ratio of 3,33:1. Earlier models had a ratio at 2,89:1. That means rated speed of 536 rpm at pto with 1550 engine rpm. You can see what kind it is with the black knob at the hi/low lever. the old one don't have that.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi