Engine stalls

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ozarkman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Engine stalls

Post by ozarkman »

When idling my dexta it sounds strong and even, without any surging, and when driven in any gear it starts out strong but in a short time it acts like it wants to die. I have found that if I hit the primer button (under the fuel tank) a couple times it will rev up again. It acts like it is lacking fuel. I have cleaned up the air filter so I don't think air intake is a problem. My primer has the fuel line to the intake manifold removed so would pumping the primer move fuel to the injector pump? If the fuel pump is working why would pumping the primer have any effect?
I have thought that perhaps the lines need to be purged but it starts and idles fine. There is only a problem when running in gear especially uphill.
Also my lift pump does not have a priming lever. It looks the same as all the pictures I've seen of the original except for the absence of this lever. On the top it says "Made in England" around the edge and on the top of the two knobs it says AC and YJ.
Sorry for the lack of pictures as I forgot to bring a camera when I was last at the farm.
Dennis

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Dennis,

Usually when this problem occurs the filter gauze in the tank is clogged.

There is only one method to solve this.

1 Leave out as much fuel as possible from the tank by disconnecting the line between the fuel tap and the fuel lift pump.

2 Unsrew the fuel tap from the tank and clean the gauze and the tap thorougly.

3 Clean out the fuel tank with a hot water pressure washer (steam cleaner). Let the tank dry, best results you will get when you dry the tank with a hot air gun (used to scrape paint of windows etc.)

4 Reassemble, fill up and bleed the system. To be sure fitting a new fuel filter is a wise idea.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are showing all the syptoms of fuel starvation. I would suspect that the filter in the fuel tank tap is blocked. You need to take the tap out and clean it. Also you may need to change the paper fuel filter.

When you push the primer you are injecting neat diesel into the manifold. That is why you get an increase in power. This is not a good idea as the fuel is not atomised. Normaly, when you use the primer it should be after heating the heater element for 40 seconds. The diesel then is burnt in the intacke manifold and does not enter the cylinders as a liquid.

Too much pumping of the primer can lead to a hydraulic lock and damage to the pistons and rings ifthe diesel is not fired by the heater.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

ozarkman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ozarkman »

Thanks for the replies,

I guess I'll have to take things apart and clean the filters. I was afraid that I may have to replace the fuel lift pump also but I will clean things up first and see how well it runs.

Thanks
Dennis

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Also, take a look at your fuel cap..make sure the vent isn't plugged up.
Jack

ozarkman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ozarkman »

Commander,

I was wondering about the fuel cap because it has been painted over and the vent is sealed. I wonder if this can be stripped off or if I will need to buy a new one.

Denns

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Hi "ozarkman", might I suggest to put a fuel filter/water trap on your diesel tank outlet that you use to fill your tractor? Nothing worse than putting dirty diesel into a tractor.Cheers TSG.