New kid on the block?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

New kid on the block?

Post by Brian »

No!!!! Its Dotty after her "Nose Job"!!!

We are all loaded up for our trip tomorrow with Dotty and Ransomes TS1015 calling at Mikes on the way to Brimfield and Mark, Edward and Brian.

Same trailer as we brought Oscars Dexta home to Barry but this time the plough sticks over the back by about a foot.

Petrol Dextas are of course longer

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Wow! Dotty's really looking good, Brian.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Brian,

She really looks good, all the best with the ploughing, I'm sure you will report back as to how you got on, with some photos.

Regards,

BarryT

P.S. How do you get on with unleaded petrol, do you add anything to it to substitute the lead??

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian's been giving his baby girl a face lift evidently and has not been telling us anything about it. SHAME ON YOU BRIAN!!!! Now we need to see the pictures of all this work and narration of each episode.
Any body out there want to second my motion?

She looks ideal Brian, I can't wait to see what she says about her new make up in the Dolly report. :lol:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

The paint job must be so good that he has to wear gloves.

Looks good anyway Brian.

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Is it a German nose-job, with those bars on the grill?
Looks great and the wheels too. Maybe a full face-lift?
All the best,
Ben

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Brian,

she looks brilliant

It looks like she had an underswept exhaust originally ? Are you going to make her "as original" ?
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All I did was fit a new cowl and paint the rusted areas. I had the wings welded so had to cover up the weld marks. The wheels you may remember were a horrible yellow and pretty rusty.

She is by no means perfect, I made some errors and got runs on the wheels, but she looks tidy. I still have lots of work to do like get the lights repaired and back on, but at the moment, its work in progress as I find time.

A comment on another subject raised. I fitted a new light/ignition switch last year. On Sunday it broke internally and I now cannot turn on the ignition. The barrel is cheap soft plastic and is no way up to the job. I am pretty sure it was a Sparex one but I will find out so we know what to avoid.

And no it is not a "German" nose job. She was a New Zealand tractor with headlights mounted outside the grill although she has the brackets in there. Export tractors could have either. Dotty and her sister both had silver grills (as they should have) and external headlights with bars on the grill. So she is looking like her original self.

Jos, she had a vertical exhaust and no evidence of an underslung. If you mean she has no hole in the bonnet, all petrol Dextas have the elbow like a Major. Mine is a Fergy one as the one she came home with was a welded up bend fitted to a Cortina rear silencer and tail pipe!

She was used with a mid mounted mower, brackets are still attached, so there was nowhere for the exhaust to run as the drive shafts and mower brackets to the back axle are in the way.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Ignition Switches

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:I fitted a new light/ignition switch last year. On Sunday it broke internally and I now cannot turn on the ignition. The barrel is cheap soft plastic and is no way up to the job. I am pretty sure it was a Sparex one but I will find out so we know what to avoid.
Yes please :wink:
Also any anecdotal evidence on the longevity/ serviceability of combined light/ignition switches vs separate switches as for later Dextas and Supers and Majors(?) appreciated.
All the best
Ben

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Brian,

The ornaments on the grills are mostly painted blue, I will look the next days by my old Dexta (still sleeping in a shed in off farm condition)with the ornaments on it from new
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Thanks Franz,

I thought they should be! I will repaint them as soon as I get back from Holland.

I do so hate wrong coloured grills!!! :run:
Brian

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Hello All,

Should the grilles be silver on all blue & Orange Dexta's super dexta's, wether they are export or not? Mine (Diesel super Dexta) had orange grilles with the headlights mounted on the outside(I am in Ireland so I wonder if it is classed as an export model? hence outside mounted lights), but there are no "ornaments" on the grilles, should there have been?

Thanks,
Niall

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Niall,
Please don't start the grill colour debate again!! Its been some months now and I though it had gone away!!! :roll:

All Super Dextas should have silver grills. No Super left the factory with Orange grills.

All export tractors had the bars BUT some home market tractors had the lights fitted externally at customers request. These would not have had bars fitted.

I have seen three industrial, home market Super Dextas recently, with no lighting and all have had the bars.
Brian

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Brian wrote:...Jos, she had a vertical exhaust and no evidence of an underslung. If you mean she has no hole in the bonnet, all petrol Dextas have the elbow like a Major. Mine is a Fergy one as the one she came home with was a welded up bend fitted to a Cortina rear silencer and tail pipe!....
Brian,
I was not thinking about an underswept due to the bonnet but due to the outlet-collector. Opening down-wards looks to be the typical shape for underswept... but han you should have some more evidence like the brackets to support the outlet.
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

So the colors from the grill, Today I found this on Marktplaats.nl (something like eBay) http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?url ... older.html

Export Dexta Orange wheels/ Silver grills and Blue bars

regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major