Overheating Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RACDEXTA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Overheating Dexta

Post by RACDEXTA »

I have recently purchased a flail mulcher for use with my Dexta. To start with everything went well but after about 15 mins the tractor started to get hot, to hot to carry on. Now I think the problem is there is no shroud/cowling around the fan and radiator, it is missing on my Dexta. Initially locating this piece seems tricky, could anyone help or tell me if a compatable piece could be used from another tractor :?: thanks Rob

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

I don't think your problem will be solely the rad shroud unless your having a different summer to me however you can get them from several places including here http://www.agrilineproducts.com/retail% ... logue.html item 5481.
I would make sure the cooling system is working efficiently before parting with your cash.

Regards
Andy

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Hi Rob, it would be more likely that you would have a faulty thermostat, one that does not open fully. Using a fail mulcher probably requires more power from the engine than the other jobs you do with the Dexta, hense generates more heat.(That also assumes that the water pump, temperature guage and radiator are OK.)If the thermostat is faulty , I would suggest to get a new one from your CNH dealer rather than a nongenuine one.Cheers TSG.

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skipdow »

If you're driving thru tall grass or weeds I would check if the radiator is getting plugged up with seeds and other small bits. I usually have to stop and brush them out or use compressed air or water when I'm mowing tall stuff.

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

From my experience the shroud is absolutely vital in order to keep the engine cool during hard work.
When I got my Dexta it would never reach temperature during light work and would overheat with hard work.
It had no thermostat and no fan cowl so I installed a thermostat and added a fan cowl - this made all the difference and it now sits exactly at the top of the normal range whatever work I am doing.
Agriline sell a fibreglass version although I got mine from a breakers.

Andy

RACDEXTA
Not Quite Blue Yet

overheating Dexta

Post by RACDEXTA »

Thankyou all for your help. It certainly seems worth getting a fan cowl and will try Agriline ( I couldn't see it in their catalogue so assumed they didn't do one) but will also check the thermostat. Many thanks Rob