Lift Problems

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Lift Problems

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi All,

I am back again in the back end of my super Dexta, I had the cover plate off before and did all the necessary in there according to the manual with the various settings. Now I have it back together, my hydraulics will not work unless the draft contol selector lever is held half ways between qualcontrol and position control! has anyone had this problem before and has anyone any suggestions, I am abit lost on this one as I followed the manual to the letter and it has left in in a worse situation than when I started!

Thanks,
Niall

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Did you change the position control cam follower pin?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi Brian,

No i didn't change the pin, i tried to locate the pin from local suppliers good ones they advertise in Classic Tractor for a long time now, but they do not stock this pin and did not know where to get one! I think the pin may be worn down quite a bit as when I run trough the hydraulic settings as you describe in the Wiki site I can get the 10mm setting in draft but can only adjust to 15mm in position control which should be 10mm. at 15mm I only have 3/4 of the locking nut in contact with the pins treads so I am afarid it will lose down over time!
Any suggestions as to were I can get the pin?

Thanks,
Niall

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you did not change the pin it is the answer to your problem most likely. Certainly those are the exact syptoms of a faulty pin and you will not have set the lift correctly as the wear on the pin affects the lift adjustments.

Do a search on here. There is nothing special about the pin itself and you can make one with little trouble. Tubal Cain has posted the exact dimentions.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

ok, will do Brian,

Thanks.
Niall

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Niall.

Get a new 5/16" high speed steel drill bit and cut off 7/8" from the shank end. The replacement pin should be 5/16" in diameter by 7/8" long. The drill bit is very hard and will last a lot longer than cold rolled steel. I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the bit.

Carefully drive out the old pin supporting the lever to avoid bending, or have it pressed out. Install the new pin and away you go.

The measurements above are from Tubal Cain.
Delta Blue