Wiring for Alternator

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Wiring for Alternator

Post by Bensdexta »

Calling all auto electric-ians, I have decided to keep my wiring 'original' except that I will fit an alternator. The diagram below shows how I think the standard wiring needs to be modified for the alternator; main changes indicated in red, are swapping to -ve earth, and omitting the separate voltage regulator (control box) under the Control Panel. A standard harness can be used, just leave the 4 control box wires (DEAF) unconnected (or removed completely).
Any comments appreciated :wink:
I've also shown a 30A circuit breaker in the yellow feed wire from the battery at the starter solenoid post, to the control panel (light switch). An auto-resetting breaker has been recommended elsewhere on this site. Any suggestions on type and trip current appreciated.

One final question, is fitting an isolation switch to the battery terminal a good idea?

Many thanks for your help,
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Hi Ben,

the changes you've made are O.K. - Please use isolation tape to secure the disconnected wires.

Auto-resetting circuit breaker? Hm ... I installed a small fuse box to secure the wirings. If there will be a short circuit, the auto-resetting circuit breaker will turn off and on intervalic. I prefer the good old fuse .....

Isolation switch? I ask: Why? . To me, it makes sense on modern vehicles with a lot of electricity consumers which are "stand by". If your old tractor will be stored for a longer periode, just disconnect the negativ wire from the battery.

Stefan

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I agree with Stephan that a fuse is a better bet than an auto resetting breaker which will cycle if you have a fault and could cause a fire if you happen to have an intermittent fault.

If you intend to show your tractor then the use of a battery isolator prevents inquisitive people with wandering fingers from switching lights etc on.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Fuse Box

Post by Bensdexta »

Stefan wrote:the changes you've made are O.K. - Please use isolation tape to secure the disconnected wires.

Auto-resetting circuit breaker? Hm ... I installed a small fuse box to secure the wirings. If there will be a short circuit, the auto-resetting circuit breaker will turn off and on intervalic. I prefer the good old fuse .....
Stefan,
Is your fuse box behind the right-hand steering box panel? How many fuses do you have and in which circuits?

Ref auto-resetting circuit breakers, I read that the reset time can be minutes rather than secs, so hopefully avoiding overheating. However I'm not an expert on what's available! A fusebox has attractions if it is accessible and doesn't require too much butchery of the wiring harness.
Many thanks for your advice,
Ben