Serial Number

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Serial Number

Post by niallsdexta »

Hello,

I am having some consern about the origin of ny dexty. I am lead to beleive it is a Super Dexta, however some things I read have made me ask the question and check it out.
i read that the number on the fuel pump was P4588 for standard dextas, this is the number on my pump. so the next step i thought was to check the serial number, but when I tried to do this, I don't have one, I checked as described below on the bellhousing beside the clutch and also the brake pedals, I checked all flanges on the tractor and I checked the side of the engine block but there is no number, the only numbers i found was on the back axle casting codes, the ones with T2 and T4 in them.

Is there any other place this number may be or any other way of checking if a super or a standard dexta.

Thanks,
Niall

[Your best bet would be to find the serial number of the tractor.
Here's where to find it.
On the left side of the tractor (sitting on it) where the engine is bolted to the clutch housing there's a flange.
Right next to the little peeping hole that has a little cover.
The numbers are stamped in the steel,they can be covered in paint, grease,mud or a cocktail of these.
So take a steel brush and clean it up a bit and write down the number.
Then with the info here on the board you will be able to find out exactly when your Dexta was made. ]

[/quote]

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Niall,
The engine number will be there on the LH clutch bellhousing running vertically to the right of the fuel filter, see example below which starts 957E...
The numbers often get obscured by paint so you may have to scrape away or use a bit of paint stripper to see the numbers.
If your fuel pump looks like this one, your tractors isn't a Super Dexta.
All the best,
Ben

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Hello Ben,

Thank you for the reply, I had another good look last night and that is exactly were I was looking, but I can safely say there is no serial number punched there on mine.
and no that is not the same pump as mine I dont have the dome on the back with the pipe leading to the manifold like yours.
You seem to be well on with your tractor, has it taken you long to get were you are? did you spray paint or brush paint?

Thanks,
Niall.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

niallsdexta wrote:Thank you for the reply, I had another good look last night and that is exactly were I was looking, but I can safely say there is no serial number punched there on mine.
and no that is not the same pump as mine I dont have the dome on the back with the pipe leading to the manifold like yours.
You seem to be well on with your tractor, has it taken you long to get were you are? did you spray paint or brush paint?
The dome on the pump in the pic above is the vacuum governor, which a Super D doesn't have, so sounds like your pump may be a Super D pump at least!

Strange not to have any trace of a tractor number on the bellhousing. I can only ssume your tractor has had a brand new bellhousing at some time, or perish the thought someone has ground the number off, but I think you would see evidence of this. Suggest you remove all traces of paint with stripper in that area to be sure there is no number.
First thing is to check the casting codes to see the dates when the main components of your tractor were made. See the 'general' section of the fordsontractorpages (not the forum) for details.
All the best,
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The later standard Dextas, had mechanically governed fuel pumps similar to the supers. The number on your injection pump identifies it as the type fitted to the standard Dexta.

If you look at the cylinder block below the exhaust manifold and to the right of the cooling water elbow you should find the engine serial number. If you find this number which should have seven digits it will either start with 14xxxxx or 16xxxxx, which will identify it as a standard or super Dexta engine.

Perhaps Ben can highlight the areas where the numbers are located so as to ensure that you are looking in the correct place. A further check would be to locate the casting code on the bellhousing and compare it with the codes of the other components.

Gerald

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Niall

These are the identifying marks on my Super D - it may help you find them

http://www.mount-pleasant-farm.co.uk/de ... ying_marks

Regards
Andy

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dextrous wrote:These are the identifying marks on my Super D - it may help you find them http://www.mount-pleasant-farm.co.uk/de ... ying_marks
Very helpful set of pics, but I just noticed that your gearbox casting code pic seems to be upside down? Also useful comment on mechanical pumps used on Standard & Supers.
All the best,
Ben

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

The serial is also stamped into the shift gear housing on the RH side above the foot plate.

Stefan

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

When the "blue tuneup" was put on my S-D, they got the paint on so heavily that the serial number was completely covered and could not be seen at all. After I looked at Dextrous' photos earlier this year, I got after the paint with some emery cloth and uncovered the number. I had to take the paint off down to the bare metal in order to be certain about some of the characters.

Back in my former life as a state police detective I had occasion to raise quite a few serial numbers that had been ground off of stolen equipment. It's amazing what a little heat and some acid can do.
Delta Blue

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

The serial is also stamped into the shift gear housing on the RH side above the foot plate.

Stefan
Hello Stefan,

For as far as I know, the serial was only in Germany doubled on the tractor.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964