Steering Play

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RossM
True Blue

Steering Play

Post by RossM »

My steering has got about 2" of play in it before the steering arms start to turn. Which part of the steering assembly will be worn or need adjusting.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Mine was like that before I renovated the box. Apart from adjusting the rocker shaft end play by taking out shims, I changed the top nut bearings etc. using a kit. While your at it you need to change the rocker shaft and column oil seals - my box was nearly empty of oil.

This seems to have taken out most of the play. If I wanted to take the last bit out I would have to do what Stefan did and weld up the wear points on the columnn where it meets the rockers shafts and grind it back to the original profile.

Regards
Andy

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Thanks Andy, not sure if i'm going to get time to strip mine down so it might have to wait till after the wedding which will mean disturbing the paint etc. Fancy swopping steering boxes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

I think yours might have had more use than mine so is probably more worn :P

Its not difficult - took about a day in total once you have all the bits.

Fortunately the old paint comes off easy as its alloy and no etching primer was used. Cleaning it up is the lengthiest process.

Make sure you get proper pullers to get the steering arms off as this turns a couple of hours of swearing into a 2 minute job.

I didnt get all the bits from the same place, some places sell the top nuts, but not the top seals etc.

Regards
Andy