Road Registering My dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RossM
True Blue

Road Registering My dexta

Post by RossM »

Once i've retrieved all the relavant serial numbers and casting codes how do I go about re-registering for road use? Is there a way of finding if she's been registered before (there was no evidence of a number plate on her)?
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Hello Ross,

I just went down to my local Motor Registration office with whatever codes I could find, I still cannot get the serial number on mine. I knew where it was registered and who the previous owner was. I went in, and explained my situation and they gave me a form to fill out which I had to get stamped and signed by my local Garda (Police in Ireland) and that was it. I was sure I would have to do more but that was it and I am now in posscession of "Replacement Documents", however if someone produced the origional documents I may be in trouble, luckily this won't happen in my case.
Niall

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Is ireland covered by the DVLA or do you have your own organisation?

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Whats the "DVLA", we have the "Dept. of Transportation", they look after all that sort of stuff, but I am sure the DVLA is the same

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Its the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Ageny here in england, scotland, wales and NI.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

RossM wrote:Its the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Ageny here in england, scotland, wales and NI.
I think it's a more lengthy process in UK. I suggest you call into your local DVLA soonest to get the gen. Worth a search on here as there are plenty of folk who have done it before - but not always smoothly.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

NVNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NVNL »

I registered mine last month. It was fairly easy, I enlisted the help of the Cornish Tractor Club and followed their instructions. Something like this -

1 V55/5 form from DVLA website

2 Photograph of the tractor

3 Photograph of the VIN (port side on the gearbox rim - mine starts 09D then six numbers in a stylised script all punched in)

4 Engine serial number ( also port side, stamped in nearish the pump seven numbers)

5 Gearbox casting (starboard side, cast in, raised - mine's 4 - D - 9)

6 Insurance certificate (on the VIN)

Sent the above tho the Local VRO with £55 and an inspector came out to check the facts, chat about old motorbikes and that was it. Paperwork came a few days later.

Having gone through this process with motorbikes before I was surprised (shocked and relieved) that the roadworthiness of the vehicle was not an issue.
Richard

All manner of things shall be well.

1964 Super Dexta

1960 LE
1969 T100C
1981 T140ES
1993 MT350

All will be well and all manner of things will be well.

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Thanks Richard, I will follow that process and let you all know how i get on. Currently struggling to get the 09D number as the letters are stamped very well. I'll wire brush the area and take a rubbing, see if that does any better.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

NVNL wrote:Insurance certificate (on the VIN)
What's this? Surely you can't get an insurance certificate if you haven't got a V5?

Did you get your original reg (if you had one) or an 'age related' one?
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dotty is insured for the road without a V5. That is no problem.

What can be a problem is the form you need if your tractor has never been registered. Then you need to get one from the local licence office. For some reason it is not available from the web site.

Another area where you have to be a bit careful is where your tractor comes from.

If you have brought it from overseas the DVLA will throw out your application until you prove that you have paid relevant taxes such as VAT and the HSE have inspected it and certified it complies with current European Law.

Luckily for me I bought Dotty from a dealer so have all the relevant documents.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

NVNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NVNL »

Bensdexta wrote:
NVNL wrote:Insurance certificate (on the VIN)
What's this? Surely you can't get an insurance certificate if you haven't got a V5?

Apparently it's quite normal. When I restored an unregistered motorcycle I had it insured on the frame number so I could ride it to its first MOT inspection. Rode it there and back without a number plate very odd but comme il faut.

Did you get your original reg (if you had one) or an 'age related' one?
All the best,
There being no surviving record of registration I was given a local correct for year registration - YCV ***B.
Richard

All manner of things shall be well.

1964 Super Dexta

1960 LE
1969 T100C
1981 T140ES
1993 MT350

All will be well and all manner of things will be well.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Hi,

I went through the same process as Richard to register my Dexta which I bought from Oscar and Brian brought it over to the UK from Holland.

I expected problems but all went through very smoothly and quickly thanks to the Ford and Fordson Association whom provided the letter of authenticity.

Regards,

BarryT

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

If you wish to register your tractor I can reccomend that you phone the following number after 6 pm.

01673 844990

Gerald