dexta engine

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

dexta engine

Post by damian green »

Hi All,
I am a newbie, and I think I have a problem.
I went on Holiday and asked my brother to cut my grass (3 acres) while I was away. He did but on the last cut he said the engine was overheating, he parked up, let the engine cool and since then it has struggled to start, could any of you shed some light on what has happened, or how to fix it.

Many thanks
Damian

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

What tractor is this? Did the engine have the right amount of oil and engine coolant? How did your brother determine that the engine was overheating, steam, temperature gauge or some other indication.
You say it struggles to start, this seems to indicate the engine starts after much cranking. If it starts, does the oil pressure light go out?
Post back more details, I am sure someone will be able to help you narrow the problem down.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

dexta4
True Blue

Post by dexta4 »

could be head gasket? any other pointers?
sometimes you need 4!!!

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by damian green »

Hi its a 1958 dexta, steam coming from front end, his words not mine, oil had been changed by me and checked several time that it was at the correct level, coolant I had not got around to checking so this could easily be the cause, but probably not the cure....
the engine does start after about 30 seconds of cranking it did start after about 4/5 seconds before this. the lights are not working. wouldn't the head gasket show water/mayonaise on the oil filler cap there is not sign of this.
cheers
Damian

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Overheat can do all kinds of strange things. In this case I would think the head gasket and/or a warped head. All that cranking sounds to me like a loss of compression.

Just because it loses compression doesn't necessarily mean it has to be leaking coolant into the cylinders. But as you said, if it were you should see milky oil. Another bad sign is white exhaust smoke.
Delta Blue

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by damian green »

Hi Sorry for the delay in this post I have been building/converting our barn to our home. The dexta does give off a lot of WHITE smoke as it turns over, once started the smoke turns blueish to start off and black under load.
Could it be timing or is the head gasket gone how could
I check this, is there a test.
thanks for your help.
Damian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Damian,
White smoke sounds like a head gasket, or possibly a cracked head. I'd take the head off and have it checked then put a new gasket on it.
If your temperature gauge doesn't work I'd get one of those too, and then show my brother in law where it's at, and to watch it while he's running your tractor.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer