Levelling Box

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Levelling Box

Post by niallsdexta »

Hello All,

I bought a new levelling box for my super dexta, its make is a "Gem" and it is the same as the one dipicted in the Agriline Catlogue.
It won't fit, the collar on the back of the box which holds the handle in place hits off the back axle housing before the arms are fully lowered. Has anyone had this problem before, I have taken the levelling box back to were I got it and he assures me and showed me on the computer that it is correct for the tractor, also did anyone have any trouble with the re production lift arms been of a heavier material than the origional and not fitting the tractor's drop arms?
I am at my wits end with the linkage now, I don't know what to do next, I mean I got all this stuff in good faith and none of it works, could it be a problem with the tractor itself, I have one good old lift arm and the other is shot, some welded it up and made a right mess of it!
Also what is the correct length of top link for the super dexta?

Thanks,
Niall

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Nialls
I had a similar problem with what is really a stock 'one size fits all (Dexta, 35 etc)' item.
I got round it by using a bit of care with a 4" angle grinder and removing a portion of the offending collar area. It dosn't need much but you must remove a concentric amount as the collar rotates. It's only used to retain the handle so dosn't need a lot of meat to do that.
If you don't then you may get some extra strain on the linkage as one side is lifting first before the other lifts off the axle.
Thats why there is that curious flat part on the axle tube. I think it was a Fordson mess up and they got their measurements wrong when sizing up the whole 3pt lift.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Has anyone bought a replacement that fits well? I am in need of a levelling box and unfortunately don't have an old one to rebuild.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Having just ordered a replacement Levelling Box from Agriline to try I received a phone call from a friend who had some bits for me. One such bit was a working original levelling box! :D

I'll have to ring Agriline first thing to change my order.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!