Lubrication of Simms Injector pump

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brownsmule
True Blue

Lubrication of Simms Injector pump

Post by brownsmule »

I understand that there are two different injector pumps for the Dexta tractors. I've read that one or maybe both require motor oil lubrication. Are they lubed by the engine oiling system or do they require individual service? I have a 1961 Dexta and I want to take proper care of all systems. Thanks in advance for helping me out.
Brownsmule in NC USA

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There are many posts on this subject. To summaries, the pumping elements of both types of pump are lubricated by diesel as it passes through the pump.

Dexta tractors before 1962 had a vacuum governed pump which required no oil in service.

After 1962 both Dexta and Super Dexta tractors were fitted with a Simms/CAV Minimec pump with a mechanical governor. This part was filled with oil and some diesel was allowed to leak into the housing, diluting the oil there. Every time you change the engine oil, you should change the oil in the pump governor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian