Safe working load for a Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Safe working load for a Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Is this cruelty to Dextas, not to mention a safety hazard?
I think a large round straw bale might weight half a tonne, so it's good to keep the front loader low when lifting heavy weights?

Also I believe the Dexta bellhousing can crack if the front loader is overloaded?

Any advice appreciated. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

I saw this on ebay too. The bale spike on the loader seems to have now back plate to stop the bale rotating backwards and down the arms on to the driver.

As for weight limit i'm not sure. I have see a MF35 used in this way in anger. I'd assume the Dexta would be of a similar strength. I suppose it depends how the loader brackets distribute the load across the chassis.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

I saw this on ebay yesterday and didn't think much of it.

It would be a pretty useless 'loader' if you couldn't stack 2 bales high. I suppose the photographer/owner is tring to demonstrate the loader is actually functional.

He would however have to see where he was going when driving, unless he drives it like a taxing spitfire :)
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I have seen two tractors break in half due to excessive front/rear loads.

1)The first was a MF135 with a flat eight loader on the front and a concrete counterbalance on the rear, this cracked through the rear axle housing if my memory is correct.

2)The second was a small leyland(can't remember the model). Again with a flat eight loader and rear counterweight, wet weather, last 8 bales on headland (wet!), I thought I would take them back to the farm with me, went to swing into the barn but dropped front wheel into pothole as I swung in. I parked up in the barn, on the way out noticed trail of oil! followed it back to the Leyland. Being dusk I felt along sump of tractor and realised that there was crack in the sump when my hand caught hold hold of a bigend!!! The sump had cracked in half and then split the timing cover as well. Luckily I stopped the engine as soon as I got in the barn, a replacement sump and timing cover and we were on the road again.

In reality this was the normal life of these little tractors, it is a wonder they survived as well as they did.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Bensdexta, A "dry" round bale of straw would only weigh 250-300kg.Dexta cruelty?,probably not, safety hazard? maybe.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Bensdexta
True Blue

Weight of large round bale of straw.

Post by Bensdexta »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:A "dry" round bale of straw would only weigh 250-300kg.Dexta cruelty?,probably not, safety hazard? maybe.TSG.
I did wonder. Hay would be heavier and silage alot heavier.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Bensdexta,round baled hay would weigh about 300-400kg and I've weighed round baled silage at 900-950kg, anything beyond that in silage (ie 1000kg+) is too hard on equipment like wrappers and front end loaders. :roll: Cheers TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

TSG,
Thanks for the info on round bale weights, I couldn't find that on the web :wink:
Do you handle any round bales with your Super D? If so what kit are you using?
Thanks,

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Bensdexta,for shifting round baled silage and large square straw/hay I use a 4WD 900 with Alo front end loader. Personally (IMHO)for loader work I would not use anything less than 70 hp with 4WD.Cheers TSG. :lol:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900