Lower Link Mounting Pin

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RossM
True Blue

Lower Link Mounting Pin

Post by RossM »

Lastnight I removed the rear linkage to find that the castle nut on one of the lower link mounting pins had been welded on. Once the weld had been removed and the nut split it became apparent the thread had been totally stripped, hence the weld.

I realise that to change this means removing the trumpet housing but wonderd if anyone had experience or recommendations around recutting the thread on the pin with a die set and using a suitable replacement Castle Nut?
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ross

Interesting question. For my 3/8" and 5/16" bolts and studs I used what I think is called a die nut to cut fresh threads. Whether you are able to buy those to fit your bolt is another question. I found mine very useful.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ross,
I don't know how much it costs in England, here they are really expensive here, about $120.00. I bought one for a M)((&y F_(*^**n for $25.00. The bevel that goes in the trumpet housing is bigger or smaller than the Dexta I don't remember, I took it to a friend of mine that has a machine shop and he made me one out the two. It's been a few years and it's showing no signs of trouble yet.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Lastnight I removed the rear linkage to find that the castle nut on one of the lower link mounting pins had been welded on
I had the same problem, luckily I managed to free the nut with the angle grinder. The threads were damaged but not stripped, I hadn't got a die set so I used a small file and carefully cleaned the threads up where the weld had been until I could get a new nut on. It was a little bit tight but went on OK.

As your threads are stripped it is a slightly different situaltion, if you recut the thread smaller will it be man enough for the task? The lower link arm mounting pins are available at only £12.00 (Agriline), however it is the hassle of fitting them!
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

If I remove the trumpet housing can i do it whole (with the aid of a strong friend!) without having to take the half shaft off first etc? If so i think i might go for the new pin option then its done properly.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ross,
You will have to take the axle out first, then the backing plate of the brake, get it out of the way, then take all the nuts off of the trumpet housing except the top one. Be sure you have some help unless you're a young man and have a strong back because it is heavy. When your ready take off the top nut pull it back and lower it to the ground or work bench, now you can take the nut off the lower link pin and replace it. You will need a new gasket or you can make one, your choice. They are not expensive and you can still get them from you CNH dealer.
Last edited by Mark on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Mark, I'm curious as to why you would you leave the top bolt in? Do you then swing the housing up on that bolt to give you access to the offending link bolt? :?

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Mervyn,
My mistake I failed to put that part in, thanks for catching it. I'll go back and edit it.
Thanks again :oops:
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You don't have to take the axle out. It will all come out as one piece. This reduces the time to do the job and if you don't have to do the axle seal its extra work.

You do need two people or a crane though.

If you can also find a long bolt and cut the head off, to act as a guide bolt it helps. Otherwise a piece of bar to fit in a couple of the holes to help you slide the axle into position.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Thanks guys, especially Brian as you've confirmed what i was hoping which should make the job easier. :D

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

The pins are available from Agriline and come complete. They have a reverse taper to them hence the reason you have to remove the trumpet to push in the old one and fit the new one from inside out.
If you look at the Dexta Service Manual in section 7 on page 2 there is a clear illustration of the pin assembly. It's down on my 'One day I'll have to get round to doing it' list!
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

New pin arrived yesterday and I've just been down the the lock-up, remove the axle trumpet housing as a whole unit, removed old pin and fitted the new one. Then bolted the trumpet housing assembly back up. A nice easy half hour job.

Only problem now is I need a new Castle nut. Anyone know what size it is?

Nick
True Blue

Re: Lower Link Mounting Pin

Post by Nick »

I had a loose lower link pin on my dexta, which meant that oil from the backend was weeping out. Whilst I had the PTO shaft out to replace the leaking PTO seal, I looked in the backend and could see the nut from the link arm pin, so I was able to tighten it up without taking the axle trumpet off. Can you replace the pin this way?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!