Disaster!!!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RossM
True Blue

Disaster!!!

Post by RossM »

As some of you may know from my other posts I'm desperately trying to get my Super Dexta restored to use to get me to church on my wedding day (27th December!).

I've been working on her every spare evening with friends and thought we were getting somewhere tonight when we got the starter to turn the engine over and her to burst into life. Only to find that the hydraulics aren't working. The quadrant lever is completely floppy!!! Does anyone know what this might be or have some tips before i delve into removing the hydraulic top?

Also the rear engine seal is leaking worse than before i replaced it, so it looks like we're going to have to split her again and redo this!!!

AND the throttle lever on the back of the fuel pump is moving but not turning the shaft in the pump so it looks like it'll have to come off!

All this and I still need to spray her!!!!

AAAAaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh :evil:
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

and I forgot to mention that when she was running she fairly quickly got into the red on the water temperature guage! :(

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Disaster!!!

Post by Bensdexta »

RossM wrote:The quadrant lever is completely floppy!!! Does anyone know what this might be or have some tips before i delve into removing the hydraulic top?
Ross, Your quadrant lever should not be 'floppy' ever - there should be a friction disc there. You could always tie the hydraulics up - will get you to the church on time :wink:
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

The friction disc turns freely with the lever but there is no action from the lift arms. Think it could be a pump problem. When the lever is moved there are slight twitches from the qualitrol lever which suggest the linkages within the top cover are ok.

i think I have a fergie friction disc knocking about which I think is similar so i'll fit that also to stop the floppyness but it won't help the overall problem. Nice bit of chain should hold the transport box up in place lol.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

RossM wrote:The friction disc turns freely with the lever but there is no action from the lift arms. Think it could be a pump problem. When the lever is moved there are slight twitches from the qualitrol lever which suggest the linkages within the top cover are ok.
Is there any pressure at the auxiliary services outlet?

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

how would I test this? I don't think there is any pressure there but can't be sure.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Testing Hydraulic Pump

Post by Bensdexta »

RossM wrote:how would I test this? I don't think there is any pressure there but can't be sure.
Ross,
This post may help you test your pump.
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 00395.html
I expect Brian can shed further light :wink:
All the best,

Bensdexta
True Blue

Rear Engine Seal Leaks after Rebuilding - Rope Seal

Post by Bensdexta »

Folks seem to be having leaks from the rear engine seal after rebuilding their engine. Any ideas why this should be?

I read on the old site that the rope seal can dry out if the engine isn't run for a while. Will it swell back into shape, once the engine starts running?

Also read that the cork sump gasket can leak; will this give same symptoms as leaking rope seal?

My rebuilt engine hasn't run for nearly a year, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have leaks when I get her together. Should I take a look at the seals, which are new, before refitting the engine, or build her up & hope for the best?

Many thanks,

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I soaked mine in motor oil for 24 hours, before I installed it. I took the handle end of a screw driver and gently pushed mine in place. You also have to leave a 1/4 inch of seal sticking out each end.
When I put my sump on I put a little bit of red silicone gasket material on both. I also put some on my sump as well. I know that sometimes it will make the gasket hard to get off, but if it lasts another 40 years then my grand children will surely figure that out, after I'm gone.

I almost forgot to ask if there was a slight groove on the mating surface of your rear main seal?

Like Ben said, Brian will chime in here and tell you what to do.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Thanks Mark, I'll try Brian's tip of turning the Aux Service Valve through 180 degs this weekend and see if I can hear a noise, I definately can't hear anything at the moment.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you pull the aux. valve out and here nothing I would think you are going to have to have the top off. It is probably the unload valve if she has been standing for a while.

It could also be a stuck control valve if you have little or no resistance on the lift lever.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Thanks Brian, I will look at both of those, is it just a acase of removeing these and cleaning them up / un-seizing them or do they usually require new valves?

As for the rope seal it could be that they dry out. I'll let you know what mine looks like when i replace it yet again! This time i'll soak it in oil for a lot longer!

As for my fuel pump is the throttle lever attached to the shaft via a grub screw or is it a key way? I'll probably find out when i remove the pump but just wondering if its going to be worse than i'm expecting :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Valves should just polish up with "Brasso" or jewelers rouge. Do not use any form of wet and dry or emery.

Throttle rod should be a clamp bolt through the arm on a splined rod. These are really firm and don't slip.

Are you sure its engine oil from the rear main? It could be gear oil via the seals on the input shaft.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Thanks Brian,

Throttle rod is definately moving but the side of the spindle i can see looking at the front of the pump isn't rotating. Am I right assuming this shaft runs through the pump from one side to the other?

The oil is black and coming from the hole in the back of the sump infront of the adapter plate so assuming its engine oil. I could be wrong and it only leaks when the engine runs.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, the shaft is straight through. Best hope its just the clamp.

Did you leave a bit too much/not enough protruding when you fitted the seal? You need about 1/8" on either side of both seals.

I have not had one leak that quickly.

Shpuld I put Dotty on stand by? 8)

I have a nice trailer for transporting you and the bride once I have finished the muck carting! :D
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

maybe we had too much protuding, it definately wasn't to little. We'll see on saturday when she's split again!

As for the pump fingers crossed its nothing worse!

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

I've had a sucessful weekend and first half of the week! Firstly split her on saturday and replaced the rear seal sucessfully, then removed the pump and sorted the throttle lever. Monday we removed the hydraulic top and pump, cleaned the filters and put back but couldn't get enough power through the starter to turn her over so left the workshop disappointed! Tonight we managed to get her running like a dream and the hydraulics lifted but would not drop so took the top off again and unstuck the control valve. Hydraulics are now lifting perfectly! We've also rebuilt the handbrake assembly.

All that needs fixing now is a leaky water pump which some of you may have seen in a 2 part article in Classic tractor magazine in the workshop section performed by myerscough college!

So its a good degrease, clean off and rub down before starting spraying!!!!!!!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Rear Engine Seal

Post by Bensdexta »

RossM wrote:Firstly split her on saturday and replaced the rear seal sucessfully
Ross,
You've been busy - good work :wink:

What was the trouble with the rear seal? Did you find any obvious fault? Did you fit a new seal?
All the best,

Mark
True Blue

Re: Disaster!!!

Post by Mark »

RossM wrote:I'm desperately trying to get my Super Dexta restored to use to get me to church on my wedding day (27th December!)

Ross we're pulling for you over on this side of the pond. It's not very often that a man can find a girl that will ride his tractor especially on their wedding day. She has to be a country girl! :thumbs: I wish I lived close by I'd come and help you out, can't wait to see some pictures of the newly weds, riding ole Dexter down the rode. :clap:

Hope you get her fixed on time!
Be sure and send some pictures after the honeymoon of you all riding your tractor. :lol:
See ya
Mark

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

The housing bolts for the rear seal had come loose somehow which had caused the rear seal to fail. Must have been our shoddy workmanship to blame.

Thanks for the support. I'll makesure a picture goes up in the new year. There are a lot of people keep wandering in our workshop asking what we're doing and when we explain we're restoring her for my wedding day on the 27th of this month they've all suggested I put the wedding back!!! I have two good friends helping who become more and more determined to complete the challenge everytime someone doubts us!

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hang in there Ross, you can do it!!! :mrgreen:
See ya
Mark