Pick it up or Let it swing?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Pick it up or Let it swing?

Post by Bensdexta »

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of pick-up-hitches vs swinging drawbars?

Am I right in thinking that PUH is quick and easy for hitching up trailers?

But perhaps a draw bar (swinging or not) is better for field work with a trailed implement such as a harrow as the hitch is further back so the implement is less liable to catch on the tractor wheels when turning, eg at the headland?

Many thanks,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Pickup hitch is great for trailer work but few field implements would hitch to it.

You could use a linkage draw bar with side stays as a supplement to the pickup hitch.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Linkage drawbar

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Pickup hitch is great for trailer work but few field implements would hitch to it. You could use a linkage draw bar with side stays as a supplement to the pickup hitch.
Brian,
So if I haven't got a trailer, not much need for a PUH. :wink:

A linkage drawbar doesn't sound so strong.

Many thanks

pottyperkins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pottyperkins »

my vote is for a swinging drawbar and a trailer with a jack fitted
A swinging drawbar is so usefull for things like balers etc,
the pick up hitch needs a large hole in the eye of the implement drawbar which is not found on alot of older machinery

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

With a swinging drawbar you can easily remove the drawbar so it does not foul implements like a topper.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

I found my PUH to be a pain. I took it off and it now resides at the back of the barn! Swinging drawbar is far more useful. Dont forget besides swinging it also goes in or out so far more handy when using a topper or roller.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks All,
I'll be staying with my swinging drawbar.
Happy Christmas, :wink:

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i use the swinging drawbar alot on my dexta its really usefull when i am using the wuffler or rolling and harrowing, i also use linkage mounted drawbars with success.

Regards
James

niallsdexta
True Blue

swinging drawbar

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi Guys,
has anyone got a picture of the swinging drawbar and do you know is it availible to buy. My local supplier Tom Hoey Ireland has a repro draw bar, but it does not swing that is move from side to side, am i right to assume that is what a swinging drawbar does. also does it just bolt to the underside of the back end ?
Also how much would one cost?
thanks,
Niall

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: swinging drawbar

Post by Bensdexta »

niallsdexta wrote:has anyone got a picture of the swinging drawbar and do you know is it availible to buy. My local supplier Tom Hoey Ireland has a repro draw bar, but it does not swing that is move from side to side, am i right to assume that is what a swinging drawbar does. also does it just bolt to the underside of the back end ?
Also how much would one cost?
Here's a pic:
The two plates bolt onto the the underside of the tractor. The bar swings from the pin on the forward plate. For more details, see the parts list available on Fordson-Dexta.de. They come up on ebay from time to time, anything from £150-250. You could try breakers like Ron Greet etc.
All the best,