Replacement Engine

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Jerry Coles
True Blue

Replacement Engine

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi All
I am looking at replacing my Dexta engine.
I have looked on the web and short engines are going for >£1000 except for Agriline @ £750.
I have a spare engine complete (Ether cancer!) and have had a quote for >£1000 for a remanufacture on that.
I have recently retired :D so I now have the time (yippeee!) in the new year to get the job done.
Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences would be gratefully received.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi Gerry congrats on your retirment ,but not from our little old blue devils, that is nearly impossible when bit by the bug, why not try rebuilding the engine your self , you could get the machine work done linners and rebore in a machine shop and fit up the rest pistions ect with the help of the board, it should work out a bit cheaper and more satifaction when finished , plus any mistakes are you own nobody eles to blame :lol: . this is what idid and i think it was about 450 all in , this was acompleat bottom end rebuild and now have 60+hrs on it no problems so far , worth thinking about. Gerry

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi all
another question on my thread.
I have been offered a 3.152 short engine with a lip seal not a rope seal.
Am I right in thinking that the rope seal was compatible with the Dexta type sump and a lip seal will not give a proper seal onto the sump.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

pottyperkins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pottyperkins »

I am no expert but think that the the lip seal sump will be different to the rope type ,As there are two different gasket sets.
Vapormatic are selling new engines and are listing the rope type for a dexta and lipseal for late type massey ferguson and leylands
http://www.vapormatic.com/catalogue/cat ... tDown=True

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The seal is in a separate housing at the back of the flywheel so it may be possible to replace both halves with a single plate containing the lipped seal.

We had just as much trouble with lipped seals on the '000nd range when Ford changed it. Spent many happy hours scoring spirals on the seal surface as per service letters to try and get them to run dry.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pottyperkins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pottyperkins »

Hi jerry
I have been thinking a bit more about the lip seal engine
I think thr engine you have been offered will be the type fitted to a late MF135 or 240
This engine is direct injection and has a different head and pistons to the dexta.
The inlet manifold is different to the dexta and i dont think the heads will change over as the head has extra row of bolts holding it down on the later type engine
There are a few industrial perkins A-152 from compressors, fork lifts etc,with rope seals that have been fitted to mf 35's so i would think it could be done easily to a dexta
The engine number will finish with DL if a lip seal is fitted