Small water leakage from engine

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Small water leakage from engine

Post by dexta61 »

This week I have noticed that there is dripping of water comming from the engine. The location where it starts is just below the flange of the of the engine. Also, it starts behind the fule line from the fuel filter and the injection pump. When however I stop the eingine it is not visible anymore. I have got a leakage from the engine, does it mean it is trouble or is it a know problem for a dexta and ( I hope ) nothing to worry about.
I just bought a DEXTA

pottyperkins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pottyperkins »

Hi, have you checked to see if the core plug is leaking
The upper part of the block level with the top of the injection pump is an area that can crack

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Dexta61,

The area of the cylinder block under the overhang behind the injector pump is particularly prone to cracking. It can be difficult to see clearly in this area but it might be worth checking out. It usually shows itself as rusty line running horizontally just under the overhang.

A good number of Dexta have cracks in this area and manage to live with them, although it depends on the severity of the crack.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta61 »

Pottyperkins, what is the core plug?

Chris Ivin, it is as you describe, it shows it self as a rusty line.
I just bought a DEXTA

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

From the area you describe its more than likely a crack in the block. My old engine had one in the same place. I removed the pump and filters to expose the block. It was stitch welded in situ and was ok afterwards. A core plug is about the size of a £2 coin made from fairly thin metal located in the block, they plug off the water jacket and usually push out if the water freezes,thats the theory but not always the practice,hence cracked blocks. Have you checked your anti freeze content??

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

This is a common problem with the Dexta engines. However as the cooling system operates at atmospheric pressure the leakage is ususlly confined to coolant seeping from the crack at a rate which can be tolerated. I have two tractors with cracked blocks which run without any problems provided that I keep an eye on the coolant levels.

Anti freeze should be added to limit corrosion but, it can make the situation worse as it has a tendency to search out leaks and cracks which were not apparent before.

I would be inclined to clean and flush the system to remove most of the scale and deposits then add a cooling system sealer. There are some very good products on the market now.

This web site advertises two products which may be worth a try

http://www.vintagetractorspares.co.uk/v ... al-up.html

Gerald

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Core plugs are used to seal the core holes in the block. The core holes are there to enable the sand which forms the cooling spaces to be removed from the finished casting. The fact that they may pop out if the block freezes is pure luck and not by design.

The only way to avoid damage to the cylinder block, either as a consequence of frost or corrosion is to use a suitable antifreeze! In my opinion the damage to the blocks on our engines is as a result of an inherent design fault coupled with owners who failed to use anti freeze. The fact that the majority of the cracks occur in the same place suggests that the casting wall thickness is reduced in that location, which may well be exacerbated by general corrosion of the metal walls of the cooling spaces.

Gerald