problem starting

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

problem starting

Post by Lost in Sweden »

I recently damaged my poor dexta. I hooked up some headlights wrong and one of the two wires that run to the lights (red) burned out instantly. The other wires were not damaged. Fixing that
problem is for another day. The big problem is it will not start. All I get is a light 'click click click' from, I believe, the regulator, a box within
the start panel in front of the gear shifter. New battery, so thats not the problem. All wires looks fine inside the housing (The burned out wire has been replaced but not hooked up to the lights). All other electrical functions still work fine. Any advice?

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Cant be to difficult to trace. However you mention a new battery. Its often overlooked but easily happens,take the terminals off the battery and give them a good clean and make sure they go back on tightly. A poor connection at the terminals often causes a click click. If thats not the problem i would trace it using a meter or a 12v electrical tester however it sounds like a poor connection to me.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

A clicking sound like you descibe is usually from the starter solenoid, you need to check that you have voltage both sides of the solenoid when you pull the starting lever back. You may have a faulty solenoid or a dirty/loose connection.

Gerald