Regulator

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RossM
True Blue

Regulator

Post by RossM »

Is it possible to test a regulator to check its working without it being wired to the tractor. I'm currently getting ready to rebuild everything once the paint is on and want to know if to buy a new regulator or risk the old one working.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Regulator

Post by Bensdexta »

RossM wrote:Is it possible to test a regulator to check its working without it being wired to the tractor. I'm currently getting ready to rebuild everything once the paint is on and want to know if to buy a new regulator or risk the old one working.
How about this?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_te ... _regulator

Stefan has a copy of the standard Dexta wiring diagram in the manual on his site should you wish to refer to one.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Ross,

All of the guides I have seen, are for tests carried out on working vehicles. The best guide I have found is at http://www.sterlingbritishmotoringsocie ... _Tests.pdf but all of these tests require a runing vehicle. There is no mention of bench tests of a regulator on it's own. I suspect that you will be left with no choice but to buy a new regulator, but please remember to polarise your generator before you run your tractor. It may be polarised the wrong way around which will destroy both the (regulator / control box) and generator.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

A regulator can be tested for functionality with a variable DC supply and a multimeter. But you'll need to connect it to the actual charging circuit if you want to adjust the charging voltage and cut-out voltage correctly.

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »