Injector Pump

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
hiking bear
True Blue

Injector Pump

Post by hiking bear »

My problem concerns a leak from the pipe that comes out under the pump, the one with a loop in it. If the tractor is left overnight with the tap turned on i am getting a leak from said pipe. It does similar when the tap is off but nowhere near the amount. Any ideas?? Forgot to say its the vacuum type pump.

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Also forgot to say, it takes a lot of turning over when cold and hasnt been used for a while before it fires, even in the Summer. If left for only about 5-6 hours even when really cold it fires immediatley. Could it be that the diesel is syphoning back from the injectors? I have a Renault lorry that also does the same if left for a week or Two.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The pipe is a level/drain for the fuel used to lubricate the cam and plungers in the pump. It is normally filled by a controlled leak from the pumping elements. Some diesel will always leak out when the level in the cam box goes up and normally you do not notice this as it is so small.

If you have a leak that is happening when the tractor is standing, turn the main fuel tap off. (Don't forget to turn it back on when you want to use her). If the leak stops, you have a leak in your fuel lift pump diaphragm. There is no other place that would cause diesel to build up here.

Also keep an eye on your oil level. If you get a lot of diesel in the pump cam box it can leak past the seal on the pump drive shaft and into the engine.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian