No Left Turn

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
NVNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

No Left Turn

Post by NVNL »

My Superdexta has been doing well in the ice and snow albeit with some fairly shabby starting techniques employed by its owner.

Anyway it started this morning after only a small amount of cheating and all was more-or-less functional until I wanted to turn left.

The port front wheel would only turn left to the tune of about 5 degrees.

After about half an hour of trundling around doing light chores on carefully designed routes the available manoeuvrability had increased to something like full range.

Is this just a feature of the low temperatures here or is it something more general?

All contributions gratefully received. I have had a go at searching earlier posts.
Richard

All manner of things shall be well.

1964 Super Dexta

1960 LE
1969 T100C
1981 T140ES
1993 MT350

All will be well and all manner of things will be well.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Any water (ice) in the bottom of the steering box?

NVNL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NVNL »

pjjms wrote:Any water (ice) in the bottom of the steering box?
A fair question to which I have no ready answer. Obviously an oil change or somesuch goes to the top of my "Chores List" for when the slightly warmer weather comes.

If there were water in the steering box would that have a unilateral effect? Time for me to get reading!
Richard

All manner of things shall be well.

1964 Super Dexta

1960 LE
1969 T100C
1981 T140ES
1993 MT350

All will be well and all manner of things will be well.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I think the nut below the steering wheel winds the steering box shaft up and down and I assume down will be limited if ice is present. What I dont know is how to drain the oil without disassembly. Can anybody add some info on this.

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

pjjms wrote:I think the nut below the steering wheel winds the steering box shaft up and down and I assume down will be limited if ice is present. What I dont know is how to drain the oil without disassembly. Can anybody add some info on this.
The only possiblity without unmounting the steering box is to remove the steering arm and cover on the left side. But not so cool to have the oil pouring over the clutch bell. I would consider removing the whole box, as you will find other things broken/used inside. I had about 1cm of dirt and ice in the bottom.

Nils
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader