Input shaft needle roller bearing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
marcusgs
True Blue

Input shaft needle roller bearing

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

I am rebuilding the engine of my '58 Dexta, and have been advised that I should replace the needle roller bearing on the input shaft to the gearbox, as they are a weak point, and can break up.
I am at a loss as to where I can buy this item!
I can get the input shaft seal, but can't find the bearing anywhere!

Can anyone help?

Mark
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you tried New Holland - it should be a standard bearing?
Let us know what you do.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

is there any play in the bearing ?

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi again,

@Bensdexta: I tried New Holland, and to my astonishment, they had some in stock! Thanks for that suggestion!

@Ian: I don't know if there is any play, but while I have it split to do a clutch I figured for £8 for the new bearing, it would be a good idea to replace it! I understand that it is prone to failure and shreds the ends of two shafts in the gearbox if it does fail.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

marcusgs wrote:I don't know if there is any play, but while I have it split to do a clutch I figured for £8 for the new bearing, it would be a good idea to replace it! I understand that it is prone to failure and shreds the ends of two shafts in the gearbox if it does fail.
How do you change it? How long did it take?
All the best,

Mark
True Blue

Re: Input shaft needle roller bearing

Post by Mark »

marcusgs wrote:Hi,

I am rebuilding the engine of my '58 Dexta, and have been advised that I should replace the needle roller bearing on the input shaft to the gearbox
Hey Mark,
If your going to replace the roller bearing I would also replace the seal on the input shaft while you are in there. They are inexpensive and you won't regret it down the road.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Input shaft needle roller bearing - What's this??

Post by Bensdexta »

marcusgs wrote:I am rebuilding the engine of my '58 Dexta, and have been advised that I should replace the needle roller bearing on the input shaft to the gearbox, as they are a weak point, and can break up.
Mark,
Can you clarify which bearing you mean by "needle roller bearing on the input shaft to the gearbox"?

Does your tractor have a double (live drive) or single clutch?

For the latter, the only needle (roller) bearing on the Input Shaft appears to be the Spigot bearing which is fitted inside the helical gear at the back end of the Input Shaft.

The bearing immediately behind the Input Shaft Seal appears to be a ball bearing. As far as I can see from the Workshop Manual to change this bearing, or the Spigot bearing means gaining access to the rear face of the clutch housing, which appears to mean splitting the tractor at the clutch housing/gearbox flanges.

Perhaps you're referring to the Pilot Bearing inside the flywheel at the front of the Input Shaft? Which bearing have / will you change?

Yours perplexed - any clarifications appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Its on dual clutch tractors only Ben. Its inside the outer shaft and runs on the inner one just as a support.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Its on dual clutch tractors only Ben. Its inside the outer shaft and runs on the inner one just as a support.
Brian,
Many thanks for the clarification - I was wondering if it only applies to a dual clutch.

So on my single clutch tractor, I have no need to worry about replacing anything other than the Input shaft oil seal and the pilot bearing in the fly wheel?

Is it reasonable to assume that the geabox should hopefully be OK?? :wink:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Bensdexta wrote:
So on my single clutch tractor, I have no need to worry about replacing anything other than the Input shaft oil seal and the pilot bearing in the fly wheel?

Is it reasonable to assume that the geabox should hopefully be OK?? :wink:
You needn't worry anymore Ben, that's all you can replace in a single clutch Dexta.
Why would you think that something's wrong with your gearbox? What's it doing?
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Single clutch Input shaft

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:You needn't worry anymore Ben, that's all you can replace in a single clutch Dexta.
Why would you think that something's wrong with your gearbox? What's it doing?
It seems I was worrying unnecessarily as with a single clutch, there is no 'needle' (roller) bearing supporting the rear of the Input shaft - only a ball bearing. The only roller bearing is the spigot bearing inside the helical gear. It appears that neither of these bearings can be changed from the front of the clutch housing.

I think the diag below (actually for Super dexta) taken from the workshop manual shows the rear end of the Input shaft for a single clutch Dexta. It shows the oil seal retainer & oil seal, which can be removed from the front of the clutch housing, but it seems the ball bearing has to come out from the back.

And the pic below the view of the rear end of the Input shaft from the rear side of the clutch housing.
Thus on a single clutch Dexta, all one can change from the front of the clutch housing is the oil seal and the pilot bearing in the flywheel.

A question: My engine is split from the clutch housing, and there is about +/- 1/4" of play on the front end of the input shaft. Is this OK?

Thanks for your help,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ben,
When I sorted all my roller bearings and seals in my dual clutch dexta out, I had the same play on the front of mine. The pilot bearing will take care of that.
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Play on Input Shaft

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:When I sorted all my roller bearings and seals in my dual clutch dexta out, I had the same play on the front of mine. The pilot bearing will take care of that.
Mark,
Many thanks, I'll find something else to worry about. :wink:

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Ben,

I found mine had a lot of play when I was undertaking my rebuild. I found that replacing the seal took out a lot of the play. I seem to remember someone telling me that some play is normal, I think it might have been a conversation outside of this forum. The shaft in situ is always held in position by the pilot bearing so play is limited when in use.

I have had no problem with mine so far(touch wood). If I were to have to strip down the gearbox it would get replaced but I have no plans to do that at the moment.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re:

Post by firesweep »

marcusgs wrote:Hi again,

@Bensdexta: I tried New Holland, and to my astonishment, they had some in stock! Thanks for that suggestion!

@Ian: I don't know if there is any play, but while I have it split to do a clutch I figured for £8 for the new bearing, it would be a good idea to replace it! I understand that it is prone to failure and shreds the ends of two shafts in the gearbox if it does fail.

Thanks,

Mark
I believe I am looking for this same bearing.. the needle 'spigot' bearing inside the helical gear on back of the main input shaft? Do you have any part numbers for the New Holland bearing you found? Thanks.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have a look at the on-line parts list.
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland ... 1091845-18

firesweep
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by firesweep »

Bensdexta wrote:Have a look at the on-line parts list.
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland ... 1091845-18

Thanks so much Bensdexta!! I should be able to find anything I need there.