Finished Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pjjms
True Blue

Finished Dexta

Post by pjjms »

Just a photo of my Dexta now its complete,
The intent is too have a sound tidy working machine so I have not been 100% with colours, although I believe the wheels and seat are correct for this part of the world. Not sure about the grill though.

Started as just a repaint and some oil leaks but grew into lots more. Steering box rebuild, split to repair the clutch, rebush the front axle, hydraulics etc etc.

Changed the seat because it was rotten and I had that new one in the shed so it got used.

And the before shot

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Choice looking tractor Bro!! 8) If your Dexta is from 1960, then the seat should be Blue and the wheels should be Orange.(Blue/Grey Dextas were only from June 1963 on.)The grills should be White. But at the end of the day,I think being "colour correct" is not neccesary as it should be painted the colours you want it to be.Cheers TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hey, pjjms, nice to see someone else from this neck of the woods. We're just up the Waihopai valley out of Blenheim, perhaps we can share some tractor tales some time! Keep up the good work on trusty metal. Derek.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

The paint debate is interesting.
The rear wheels had 2 layers of white, the fronts had 1 layer of orange with another layer of white on top. The seat had one layer of white.
I'm not sure of the year. Casting dates range from Dec 1959 to Nov 1960, so I assume late 60 or early 61, or its a bitsa. I doubt the factory let castings sit around for 12 months.

As you say Swandri in this instance its about what I like. The tractor was never going to be a totally original restoration. I have fitted an alternator and a few other practical mods to make it useable. Didnt bother with refurbishing the lights, dont know anybody who drives a tractor of this vintage at night.

Very pleased with the way it runs and drives.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

It seems our problem down here is how bright our sunlight is,as you probably know in Nelson.Nothing uncommon to find Dextas/Super Dextas with layers of paint, as most have been repainted at some point in time, mostly incorrectly.My Super Dexta was repainted in the mid 70's with white wheels rather than the correct orange. :oops: Every day is a day closer for it to be repainted correctly!(Where is the "Yeah right"emoticons when you need it?) TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Bensdexta
True Blue

Rear Tyres

Post by Bensdexta »

What size are your rear rims and tyres? Look pretty chunky!
Nice job - well done :wink:
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

A great looking machine, the tyres certainly look the business. What are you intending to use her for?

It is cheering to see the summer weather in your part of the world, I have spent a few northern hemisphere winter breaks in your part of the world. I spent Christmas at the YHA at Havelock about 20 years ago, I climbed the hill behind the hostel and had some fantastic views up Pelorus Sound :)
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Yes, the weather is a bit of a treat at this time of year. Even in winter we are luck with frosts followed by clear sunny days. Lucky enough to miss all the snow.

The rears are 14.9-24.

Suspect most of its life will be with a mower on the back now.