Thermostat

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
hiking bear
True Blue

Thermostat

Post by hiking bear »

Just bought a new thermostat from a very well known supplier. Before fitting it i checked its temperature marking only to find out it was an 88 degree celsius. On checking the original and the manual it should have a 160 degree fahrenheit which converts to approx 72 degrees celsius. If i had fitted the new one it would have been getting very hot before it opened! Now ive got to find another thermostat of the correct temperature. Has anyone else bought one recently??
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Raymondc71
True Blue

yes i have

Post by Raymondc71 »

yes i have got a new therrmosat and i have it fitted but i must check at what temp it opens!! would it affect the engine??
Diesel Dexta 1960 Restyle

dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta61 »

More a question than an answer, where in the engine is this located and what is its purpose?
I just bought a DEXTA

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

The thermostat is located at the top of the engine,it stops the flow of water to the rad enableing the engine to warm up faster and efficiently and stops abnormal engine wear since it warms up faster, the first 10 min of running is the most important as this is were the most damage to a engine can made.
A engine without one will use more feul and not run efficiently, a hotter thermostat will not harm the engine infact it can aid in efficiency since the engine gets warmer and allows a better combustion due to the higher engine temp.
i have a 88 thermostat fitted and have no problems at all,

Regards
James

Raymondc71
True Blue

hi

Post by Raymondc71 »

I started the dexta today with the new thermosat fitted and it worked ok..once the point went to the red zone it would drop back down..Tha red zone on my temp gauge is halfway so its all good..
Diesel Dexta 1960 Restyle