Belt Pulley

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
bobfaecullen
True Blue

Belt Pulley

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi All,

I've been searching through the old forum for info on a dexta belt pulley, these seem to be rather thin on the ground so I thought about fitting a Fergie pulley. Someone has already posted on this subject, but the reply was -

i have the same thing - the splines are a different size i think you will find so will not fit. If anyone wants to swap my Fe*** pulley for a dexta one i would be pleased to hear from you

I don't understand what is meant by the above, I thouht the pto splines were a standard size, perhaps someone can enlighten me - or does anyone know if it does actually fit. I did think the mounting bolts could be different spacings but perhaps this could be overcome by making an adaptor plate to fit between the pulley and the back end of the tractor. Any info would be appreciated.

Bob.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Bob

Thats all we used on our Super Dexta in the late sixties., a Ferguson flat belt pulley. I remember it quite clearly as I was responsible for breaking off the one mounting lug, by accidently lifting the lower hydraulic lift arms which were below the pulley. :oops: Any way it still worked fine with three bolts holding it on. I retrieved it from my dads farm when he died and am hoping to use it to drive what ever in future when my Dexta is up and running. I also have a FoMoCo pulley but not sure if it was used on a Dexta or Major. Battling to get pictures on the forum otherwise we could varify ifmy pulley is the same as yours.

Regards
Mervyn

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

The little grey fergie had a differant pto shaft size of about 1 1/8" The DEXTA shaft size is 1 3/8" which is why the later massy belt pullys fit and the early ones wont.

Regards
James

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi All,

An update on the pulley situation.

Went to a local auction last weekend which is held about 8 times a year because there were a couple of saw benches advertised - the main reason for the pulley question - and would you believe it, there was also a MF belt pulley for sale as well. I came away from the auction with a fergie cordsaw and an MF pulley under my arm!!

The pulley fits the Dexta perfectly and the saw is a good size for the Dexta as well, only problem is that I don't have a drive belt.

Started searching on the internet and found the AC Belting website, but I thought the quote they gave me was very expensive, eventually tracked down a company in Stoke on Trent (via the stationary engine forum) called RDB Belting and they have quoted me less than a third of the price, with immediate delivery - and what's more they said that they will send the belt out tonight and could I send a cheque by return of post. How trusting is that in this day and age.

I must add that I have no interest in this company other than being very pleased with their level of service and the cost of their product.

Bob