Super Dexta - Complete Service

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
WayneB
True Blue

Super Dexta - Complete Service

Post by WayneB »

Just finished a 100% service on my 1962 Super Dexta. :P

-Pulled top cover and replaced hydraulic filter. :?
-Drained all hydraulic fluid and replaced.

++once positive hydraulics working, installed a lever operated remote hydraulic kit. Fabricated bracket putting remote lever to top and rear of 3PH lever.

-drained transmission and replaced fluid. :!:
-changed engine oil filter and oil
-drained injector pump and refilled with oil :wink:
-replaced fuel filter
-clean and replaced oil in air cleaner.
-complete steering lube.
-Adjusted brakes and emergency brake.
-checked torque on fasters

Tractor has been dependable. This was just my annual service.

Comment: While the lift works normal and is fairly fast and does not drop with implement, the hydralics in remote mode are slow in comparison to my larger tractor. I have a hydraulic self tilting dump trailer, and the Super Dexta takes three times :shock: as long to raise. However it is more nimble with the trailer and for light work like hauling a load of firewood I thought it would be handy to have a remote kit. Also wanted a hydraulic top link for box blade work and to run a disk mower.

Ready for work in 2010. :clap:

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

WayneB
True Blue

Water Contamination in Transmission

Post by WayneB »

I live on the east coast of the US, moved up from North Carolina to Virginia less than 3 years ago.

Preferrably ANNUALLY, or no longer than every other year, I have to drain my transmission in these Dexta tractors due to water contamination. I have found that 134 Hydraulic fluid works best in high humidity areas the water becomes less milky than with oils and gear oils.

This year, while my fluid had lightened in color, its lubricant properties were still there.

Humidity plays a large role. One of my tractors had contamination at the transmission, and it was parked under a shelter the entire year.

When I must leave my tractor parked in the elements, I keep a very large thick industrial strength 12ML garbage bag folded up under the seat. I stretch the bag over the seat, gear lever area and shed rain off. I have a captains style seat with arms, which absorbs a little water in the cushion if left in the rain. I return to a dry seat, and my tractor protected. I have seen rubber boots made for the shifters to shed the water, but my bag is a simple and effective tool.

I do not have this problems with my other tractors which are Fords, and would take interest in other Dexta owners RAIN SHEDDING at the transmission ideas. :idea:

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Water Contamination in Transmission

Post by Bensdexta »

WayneB wrote:I do not have this problems with my other tractors which are Fords, and would take interest in other Dexta owners RAIN SHEDDING at the transmission ideas. :idea:
Wayne, Where do you think the rain gets in?
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

WayneB
True Blue

Moisture

Post by WayneB »

I think rain is quite an exageration of the scenario. Apologies. :oops:
Moisture is more the precise description. Numerous times when I pull my shifter I have seen moisture under the shifter flange.

When I drained my tranny there was no "water" only light colored fluid.

My [parking] "bag" cover likely helps but the real villian is humidity. Here in the SE (USA) the humidity needs cut with a sword some Spring, Summer and Fall days. Seem to hardly have a moisture problem in the winter.

Wayne

[/code]

WayneB
True Blue

Made a Good Call

Post by WayneB »

Was honesty questioning the combination of the Super Dexta, remote hydraulic kit and this quite large flotation tire hydraulic tilt dump trailer.

My greatest fear was the trailer 14' dump would be hard to pull. Rounded up with furnance length cut, the tractor did not make tire ruts like the 4x4 loader tractor and hardly broke traction. The conditions could not have been worse. Snowing as we worked. Patches of ice, totally saturated ground, foot of melting snow. The trailer large flotation tires just pulled EZ. :P

After five rounded loads, the 4x4 loader tractor sat motionless in backup. :thumbs: Surely on this very steep land, I am going to need pulled. Never needed. I did not even have to lock the differential. :roll:

Nimble turning and not going down in the mud simply made my day. :shock:

Moved a 3-4 weeks of wood in one day. :clap:

Bigger is alway better. Front wheel drive traction triumps. Made more ruts with the tag-along loader tractor that sat in backup than with 5 loads with the Dexta.

A pleasant suprise.

Wayne