Top Link

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Top Link

Post by Bensdexta »

Tried the Wurth Rost Off on my top link. Before:

After, eventually got it apart but had to use a bit of heat and soaking for a few days (plus some WD40):
At £8 a 400ml can it's not cheap (others on ebay are charging twice this :( ), not sure if it's Wurth it !

The lower CAT 1 ball is very loose in the stay - a few mm. Apart from rattling a bit does this matter? Will wear in the linkage affect the operation of a plough?
Can it be tightened up by heating and hammering the edges of the closure around the ball? Or can new balls be fitted?
Advice appreciated :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

I'd just throw that crap out and buy a new one. You need a decent top link. The top link on our hedge trimmer just snapped one day, hedge trimmer fell off and got damaged. Another one of ours, threads got so warn it won't tighten up properly. The rust does that ..

You should be able to pick up a new one for £40

Bensdexta
True Blue

Top Link

Post by Bensdexta »

Ian wrote:I'd just throw that crap out and buy a new one. You need a decent top link. The top link on our hedge trimmer just snapped one day, hedge trimmer fell off and got damaged. Another one of ours, threads got so warn it won't tighten up properly. The rust does that ..
You should be able to pick up a new one for £40
New ones from Agriline are £25. Has anyone tried one or know if they are OK?
All the best,

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i have a top link from agriline and its fine, The vapormatic toplinks are good aswell i have no problems with them, mine are not in hobby use and are worked daily i havent had a breakage yet.

Regards
James

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

We got one from Agriline a few months ago, it seems pretty good but the adusting lever could be longer as it runs through the entire center body so adjusment on the fly my need more muscle than our old one that had 4" bar (our old one looks identical to bensdexta's one). We have not used it in ernest yet though. We negotiated a discount and paid significantly less than £25 however we were buying other stuff too though.
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk

Bensdexta
True Blue

Vapormatic Top Link

Post by Bensdexta »

This is the Vapormatic link, Part VLK1000 - Top link assembly Cat 1 both ends:

The catalogue says it is for the Dexta; however the length is slightly longer than my original link:
Min operating length, orginal:525mm, Vap:570mm
Max operating length, original:690mm, Vap:724mm
I trust this isn't significant?
All the best,

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Two points; Firstly i bought a top link a few years ago, i went to my local MF dealer who had loads of different sizes on display. I think its a Sparex part but not 100% as im not near it. Works so smooth compared to an old one and i beleive it was about £30. Secondly i like the look of the finished article useing the Wurth stuff, however i always put rusty stuff in a pan of Cola. Make sure its not a diet version without sugar! I recently done a thermostat housing which was rough, bought 4 litres of a supermarket Budget cola and left it to soak for a week. Came out looking far better than when it went in. As far as penetrating oil is concerned I always use the genuine Plus- Gas, expensive but very good and becoming hard to get where i live.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

EddieJ
True Blue

Re: Vapormatic Top Link

Post by EddieJ »

Bensdexta wrote:This is the Vapormatic link, Part VLK1000 - Top link assembly Cat 1 both ends:
That the one Agriline supply and identical to the one we have:
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk