Fordson Dexta 1958 957E Transmission Oil Level question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
J. R. Astorga
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Dexta 1958 957E Transmission Oil Level question

Post by J. R. Astorga »

This tractor is a diesel 6 speed forward, 2 reverse, live PTO. I am unable to find the oil level 'dipstick' for the transmission. I attempted to use the Fordson Dexta web-site that has great information on nearly everything but I could not find how to determine what the oil level should be. I just acquired this tractor and wanted to change the fluid. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hello JR, and welcome to the board.
First of all our Fordson Dexta's don't have a "dip stick" to check the transmission oil. If you will look down the right side of the transmission (as your sitting in the seat) just above where your right foot sits you will find a 4 sided plug. Be sure your Dexta is sitting level, and take this plug out. If oil just starts to run out your all right, if it doesn't you need to add some. Just under the transmission you will find a bigger plug, take this out and drain the old oil out. The plug next to the shifters is where you put the new oil in.
On the left hand side of the tractor as your sitting in the seat, down next to the PTO lever you will find the plug for the rear differential and hydraulics. Under you will find the drain plug. Just a little word of warning, do not take the bolt out on the right side next to the hydraulic pump this holds the hydraulic filter on inside the housing. All our Dexta's work best on 30 weight oil. Some of us use different weights, but most use straight 30 weight. We use this in the transmission and hydraulics as well. I have recently rebuilt my motor and I use Hi Detergent 10w 45 Pennzoil in mine. You may need to use a non detergent oil in yours if it has a lot of hours on it. Ford recommended 30 weight in the motor, transmission, and hydraulics.
Hope this helps. :)
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer