Temperature sensor problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Temperature sensor problem

Post by bigmax7 »

With my bolt in the gearbox problem, I started to split the engine the other day unfortunately I could not pull out the temperature sender and had to cut it. Is it possible to rejoin the capillary wire. The sensor is still in the housing with about a 300mm tail. Can I solder it, will it still work accurately.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

I dont think it can be soldered up , you will have get the sensor out an replace the compleat uint , if it is broke off in the houseing you will probley have to take off the 2 screws of housing and remove thermostat, you can then remove sensor by pushing it out . be careful with housing , as these can crack if its awhile since iit has been off, Gerry

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

The capillary wire may be able to be joined. Some sort of compression fitting might be best as the heat from soldering would no doubt affect the accuracy. Try it you have nothing to loose. If it is a good original gauge do not throw it out even if the joining of the line does not work, a good instrument maker will be able to replace the line and calibrate the gauge. Originals are hard to find. If it is not original, replace it. There are a number of people who make replacements.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Supertractorman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Supertractorman »

There is a company in Nottingham which will repair all guages and does a very good job, they are called Speedograph Richfield.
www.speedograph-richfield.com
1964 Super Dexta
1958 Dexta
Mini Dexta
1944 Ford Ferguson 9NAN
Ferguson Teeny 20