Petrol Dexta Question.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All the engines Ben listed were heroic failures. Not so the petrol Dexta.

Rob, No.

Interesting fact this.

Barry mailed me with the details, I have checked it and am really surprised. It shows how little we knew about Fordson tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Pure guesses, based on previous answers.

Either...

Ford(son) bought the design rights as a basis for the Dexta?

or

Turner arranged to licence (part of?) the Dexta design for a 'revamped' Yeoman just before they went bust?

Mike

P.S.
Another question for you all.

Why do I call Brian my 'friend' when he keeps setting quizzes that are difficult and obscure to answer? :yikes: :stress:

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

So considering the basic design of the Dexta, excluding engines were vaguely derived/modified Ford 9N, so it must be something to do with engine design?Also nothing wrong with quizzes or dancing banana's. :thumbs: Still confused, can't wait to find out the correct answer,TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Seeing as it's a petrol Dexta question, it's to do with the engine :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry chaps,

You keep going all around the answer, it is nothing to do with the design or the engine as such.

Mike has to re-think his answers. Change them round a bit.

Ooops. That might be too much of a clue. :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian used to sell both the Yeoman and the Dexta :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

True but no cigar Ben.
Brian

Supertractorman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Supertractorman »

The same drawbar pin will fit both ! :lol: .
Were both engines manufactured under licence in the same factory with same BHP.

David
1964 Super Dexta
1958 Dexta
Mini Dexta
1944 Ford Ferguson 9NAN
Ferguson Teeny 20

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No and No David.

The tractors have one thing in common and that is not visible, even if they both were stripped out to their smallest components and laid side by side.

Yet they have the strongest possible link.

I am not including things like bearings, tyres, seats, steering wheels and exhaust pipes which were possibly made by the same outside suppliers like Burgess, Dunlop, Goodyear, Firestone and Sanky.

The link is not there for the diesel Dexta or Super Dexta.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

May be the wheelbase?
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No Emiel.
Brian

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

Bore or stroke, or bore and stroke??
Nothing better than a Fordson, except two Fordsons

Constant
(1949 Ford 8NAN, 1954 Ford NAB, 1954 Fordson Major six cylinder, 1959 Fordson Power Major in bits, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1962 Fordson Super Major, 1975 Ford 7000)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No Constant.

I will admit that it is something that has only just come to light and it seems, few people have heard of it.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Brian ,was a Yeoman designed or built petrol engine considered for the Dexta, then at the 11th hour Fordson decided to use the Standard engine insteaded?? :stress: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

TSG, No.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

OK. It has been a week and although there have been some interesting answers, none have been correct. I must admit I would never have known this until Barry M brought it to my attention.

As you may know, Ford Motor Company kept hundreds of small and smaller businesses in work. J.J.Wright and Sons (Engineering) machined all the front hubs and disc brake units for the Ford Cortina. We also sub-contracted work out to a number of small machine shops all over Norfolk,sometimes situated in garden sheds. We did, however keep the "Blue Streak" missile bits in house.

Fords had their work cut out at Dagenham, building Cars, Vans, Majors and Dextas on the same site and, in the 1960's, they were leading the market in all areas. Some developments were done elsewhere, Roadless developed the 4WD Dexta and Super Dexta, County did the Highway and Industrial versions and ...

:cry:

Turner Engineering Company of Wolverhampton developed and built the Petrol Dexta for Ford.

So the petrol Dexta is really a Turner! And was built at Wolverhampton.
:yikes:

Turner built cars and trucks in the 1920's and were a family owned company right up to the 1990's. They made parts and gearboxes for Leyland trucks and tractors including parts for the Leyland Tractor synchromesh gearboxes.

Google Turner Engineering, Wolverhampton. It will take you to a very interesting web site that includes potted histories of sweets and Guy lorries.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Live is full of surprises Brian,

I hope you have recover your breath by now.
Interesting story.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

roromac
True Blue

Post by roromac »

Does that mean, Brian, that Turner Engineering Company of Wolverhampton will have all the records which you are attempting to compile?
Rob

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is certainly going to be an area to check. They have been taken over now though and I will bet that records have been destroyed.

If you google Wolverhampton History you will find a very interesting web site on old companies in that area.
Brian