Alternative to original temperature sensor?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Alternative to original temperature sensor?

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Just now I have my motorwarmerer intake hose hooked up to where my temperature sensor used to be. Perfect spot actually. The sensor was broken long ago, so no tears were shed removing it. However, I do want to monitor the engine temp still, but using an alternative method. I found a exhaust temperature probe, which I think would easily fit in the small hole at the base of the exhaust manifold. Cant this work? Would not exhaust temp be an equally good measure of engine temp as coolent temp?

Emil Nyman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Emil Nyman »

Exhausttemp can be usefull to now but i think colanttemp is more importent.
On my super dexta the engineheater is atached just under the temperaturesensor.
I think the best idea for you is to buy a new aftermarket colanttemp gauge on for example agriline and drill a new hole for your engine heater.
Ford 3000 -69
ÅLÖ Quicke loader
ÅLÖ snowblower
Fordson Super Dexta -64
MF Robur III -68

Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Not sure I want to drill. Anyone used a pyrometer on a dexta? The beauty of using one is the ease in which one can set it up. Simply stick the cable probe in the exhaust manifold.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

If I were you, and I'm not, I'd for sure want a temperature gauge on my tractor. The temp gauge and oil pressure gauge's are your most important gauges on your tractor. Exhaust temps I'm not to familiar with.

They make a warmer that can be put into the freeze plug under the intake manifold, and one that goes into the lower radiator hose, you ought to check those out and put your temp gauge back into it's rightful place, where it was designed to work properly.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

My only experance with exhaust temp sensors in with petrol and turbine engines, and these were more use for correcting the fuel mixture than monitoring engine cooling. Based on that I think you will find the EGT will rise and fall drmaticly as the throttle is opened and closed. I would think the more stable water temp would be a better indicator of problems. I would bet that the engine water temp could rise 50 or 60 degrees without much change in EGT.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

As I am currently in the process of developing a combined exhaust gas temperature and boost gauge for the 4x4 market and I can tell you that EGT will tell you nothing about engine block temperature. It is useful for turbo charged diesel engines under heavy load but I doubt that any useful information would be found regarding block temperature and lack of coolant which the normal temperature gauge would indicate for a non turbo engine.

EGT gauges are useful for engines that are running 20 PSI boost and over and are getting exhaust gas temperatures close to that of melting aluminium. It is a remarkably variable temperature depending on engine load. The average Fordson would never get close to those temperatures, but it certainly could blow a head gasket or warp a head with no coolant and the EGT would not even move a few degrees when this happened.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Thanks for all of your inputs. Interesting stuff. How about an oil temperature gauge, instead of a water temp gauge? Also, any benefit from adding an oil pressure gauge, aside from the 'red light' sensor the dexta has? In cars, at least, I was told the red warning lights usually mean the damage is already done, in other words not a 'warning' light but rather a 'your f'd' light.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mark wrote:If I were you, and I'm not, I'd for sure want a water temperature gauge on my tractor. The water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge's are your most important gauges on your tractor.
Lost in Sweden
I totally agree with what Mark has said. These 2 guages are the most important.

EGT, oil temp, vacumn pressure etc are not needed on a Dexta.

You can have all the guages in the world fitted, but unless people actually look at them, or know how to read what the guage is showing, they are a waste of time.

My advice would be, put the water temp sensor back into where it was designed to be and fit your engine warmer elsewhere. They are an after market addition, and are designed to be fitted easily in a bolt-on style.

Let us know how you go. We love photo's!!!!
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Lost,
I understand you wanting to have the 1500w recirculating heater as it gets cold here in Canada too! (we're not in Vancouver :))
We have used a 600w in the lower rad hose (it is a tight fit next to the fan belt) and a 400w in the block (frost plug) together but.. it does not have the same heating power of the recirculating one (from block drain to drilled hole near the temp guage sender) we have in the other Dexta.
I am as reluctant as you to drill a hole in our original Dexta.
Have thought of teeing into the hose coming off the block, buying a dedicated hose adapter that comes off the block and drilling that or maybe somehow going into a frost plug.

Les

Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Here is the motorwarmerer that replaced the (broken) temperature gauge.

Its 500w and warms her up for an instant start after about 2 hours (one hour would probably do with modest cranking).

While it has caused this dilema, it works great and was absolutely necessary to get my dexta going for snow plowing over the past few weeks.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hey Lost,
Would you make your pictures just a little bigger. I'd like to see that warmer a little better.
Thanks
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

I have almost the same heater both my Super dexta and my spareparts Dexta have a brass extension with the temperature gauge and on these gauge somebody has brass welded a pipe like a T to connect the heater. Looks quite factory made. I will try to take a picture tomorrow.

Nils
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader

Lost in Sweden
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lost in Sweden »

Hopefully a better pic-

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

Better but not bigger:-) Use 800x600 pix size so we can see something. I will try to take a picture of the solution on my tractor tomorrow. It's in exactly the same spot.

Nils
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader