Throttle lever fixings

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Throttle lever fixings

Post by Bensdexta »

How is the throttle lever attached to the vertical rod? Mine has a clamping bolt but the parts list, see pic below, seems to indicate a screw (item 38 ) ?

What are the items 35, 36 & 37 (described as washer, seal & ring). What do they do?

A photo would be handy :wink:

Your help appreciated,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Ben,

The throttle lever is held onto the throttle rod by a clevis and a split pin. Check this link, and scroll down to photo number 208:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstu ... ationPart1#

The only way you will get that apart is by drilling and or cutting. It will not come out any other way. (Again, one of my pet peeves. I love my Dexta, but want to strangle it's engineers, sometimes!)

Don

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

item 38 is a roll pin needs to be driven out you may have to put the whole assembly including the cover onto a vice and drift it out. I have just done this on mine as i repaired the steering box top shaft nut.
using some heat and some aqua lack on the throttle lever will help in getting the stuck roll pin out.

Regards
James

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

On my tractor, item 38 is a screw. Remove the screw, drive a screwdriver in the split to separate the slot and soak the end of the rod with penetrating oil for a few days. The problem is the half moon shaped woodruff key. It will remain in the rod and prevent the bezel from coming off. I had to grind mine smooth the get the bezel off to remove the fuel tank.
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Item 38 is a screw but others may have modified things in the past.

There should be a washer and a circlip on the top of the shaft to stop it moving down, The circlip fits on the bare shaft, there is no groove.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Throttle lever fixings

Post by Bensdexta »

But what are the items 35, 36 & 37 (described as washer, seal & ring)?

What do they do? Are they under the instrument panel or above it? Maybe to stop water running down the rod?

Would an O-ring seal & circ-clip suffice?

Below is a pic of my bits after I got them plated. The small bolt & nut are clearly not original, but seem to do the job. Seems I was lucky to get mine apart with just a bit of heat.

I only just noticed that there is a rubber seal inside the bushing on the instrument panel (black ring just visible in the photo), presumably also to help prevent rain getting down the rod

Thanks all for your comments. Don those pics of yours are a mine of info! :D

Any ideas on the seal, washer, ring etc appreciated :wink:

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

I think the circlip should be under the panel to hold the rod into the lower position. That's the way it was fixed on my Dexta. If there would be no circlip, the rod could move out of it's place in the steering box. Here's two pictures showing the trottle lever on early and later models.
Also I found that on both the pictures shows the part# E192-JB-9. In the upper picture it is called a bushing and in the lower picture it is called a ring. Seems that there was a guy sleeping in Dagenham ... :D

Regards Stefan

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Stefan,
As usual you're a fount of knowledge :wink:
My Dexta is like your lower picture, and yes I do have a ring clip under the instrument panel but wondered what it is for. Your explanation makes sense.
I just need to find a suitable O-ring and wave washer.
Many thanks,