Setting dexta for ploughing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nevis
True Blue

Setting dexta for ploughing

Post by Nevis »

I have recently purchased a David Brown plough and am hoping eventually to enter ploughing matches.

Last weekend I did some ploughing with some help from my next door neighbour. He said that when ploughing the tractor was crabbing and recommended that I reduce the width of the front wheels so that the inside of the front wheel matches the inside of the rear wheel.
However although I am using small wheels (5 *15) if try to reduce the width any further the cross beam will hit the tyres a close to full lock.
Has anyone else experienced this problem with a Dexta ?

Regards

Andy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think it may be better to look at the plough and how it pulls on the tractor.

My wheels are set at 56" front and rear and with my PM plough it is a dream to handle. You can take both hands off the wheel and she will keep straight down the furrow. I have 12" furrows on the plough with EPIC bodies.

DB ploughs used Ransomes bodies but I don't know what your furrow settings are.

See my "Another Restful Day" post for pictures.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Thanks for your comments Brian - this agrees with my thoughts as I have seen many Dexta's ploughing and the front wheel centres looked like mine.

I know I need to do some restoration on the disc pivots to stop them wobbling and seizing so I will do this and have another go later this year.

I have to say it was great fun to have a go at ploughing and provided great deal of amusement to my neighbours (all farmers and very experienced ploughmen)

Andy

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

MY dexta is set at 56" rear, 52" front on 16" rims.
i have a ransomes TS54A robin set at 12" furrows on epic bodies.

i bought a david brown plough and found the plough crabbed and i only got it to run straight with the cross shaft adjusted so it was taking a wide front furrow.
my problems were solved when i got rid of it for my ransomes Robin.

Regards
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Running equal settings front and rear is a Norfolk thing. If the front wheel runs alongside the furrow wall then the tires will be ruined in a few hours because of flints cutting the side walls.

But if you get a 12" furrow to pull down the centre of the tractor then you have no worries. I don't know how you would get on with a 10" as some ploughs are set as I use 12" or 14" on my ploughs.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I've never plowed my Dexta in a match with other Tractors. I've never seen that done here in my part of the world. I guess we are missing out on some fun and experience.
I've never heard the term "crabbing" what does this mean exactly?
I've got my wheels in line with each other and pull twin 14 inch Ford ploughs with no problems. I would like to learn what crabbing means though.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Crabbing is when the tractor tries to pull sideways. The front wheels try to either steer out of the furrow towards the un-ploughed land or to the ploughed land.

It is all caused by the plough not pulling dead centre of the tractor. Wheel settings can be the biggest problem although position of the plough cross shaft is also important.

Match ploughing is a very highly charged occupation. Its like all competitions and can get ugly. It is not really "true" ploughing as the tractors and ploughs use high tec adjustments and controls not found on a "normal" plough.

That is why I prefer "Plough Days" where a group of like minded people get together to show off their tractors and implements and do the best job they can with "real" equipment.
Brian