Dexta Nose cone.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Dexta Nose cone.

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

If any of you were restoring a Dexta, as i am (trying to), to a fairly decent condition, for example to use for fun , road runs, and generally to look at. Would you be tempted to use a Fiber Glass cone , or would you spend extra and go for a steel one.
Are they strong enough ( not that it would be knocked about LOL) and do they hold their colour ok?.
Have also found the tank leaks , small pits , think it's a problem with them, have looked through previous posts and some seem to think a sealant works, Any help on this one please. Jim.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

how bad is the original nose cone? whats wrong with it? rust holes or dents? stay away from fiberglass, i bought a fan cowl from agriline thinking it was steel. slightest knock and it chips (havent fitted it yet).

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Nose cone.

Post by Bensdexta »

YorkshireDextaMan wrote:If any of you were restoring a Dexta, as i am (trying to), to a fairly decent condition, for example to use for fun , road runs, and generally to look at. Would you be tempted to use a Fiber Glass cone , or would you spend extra and go for a steel one.
Are they strong enough ( not that it would be knocked about LOL) and do they hold their colour ok?.
Have also found the tank leaks , small pits , think it's a problem with them, have looked through previous posts and some seem to think a sealant works, Any help on this one please. Jim.
I suspect it depends how much of a purist you are; I expect a fibreglass nose cone would be OK and expect you could paint it, but I've gone for an original steel one I found on ebay.

Ref leaky tanks, if it's just a small leak tank sealer should do the job. I'm using KBS tank sealer, alot cheaper than POR15, and seems to be as good There are some good Aussi vids of repairs using KBS on U-tube.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

my nose cone is bent along its length and advice on how to straighten it back out? ive managed to remove all the dents in the top half.

thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I would not fit a glass fibre cone. They look horrible and degrade a beautiful little tractor.

I got a new metal one for Dotty and although not that cheap, (but neither is a glass fibre one from what I have seen), it looks great and more in keeping with the tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

john.n wrote:my nose cone is bent along its length and advice on how to straighten it back out? ive managed to remove all the dents in the top half.
I suggest you take it to your friendly panel beater. That's what I did with mine.

He made me get it sand blasted first so he could 'see what he had got' (to work with), then 20mins with a dolly and hammer he transformed it. The metal on the originals is quite thick, which makes the beater's job easier.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Thanks folks, think you have decided for me, it should be steel. Am not a purist really, and don't imagine i could make it so with this Dexta, it's been a Yard Scraper in the true sence , both wings and the nose cone are shot, although the bonnet is sound, pitting on the Trumpets were not good but have cleaned up and painted nice. Have Ron Greet looking for a Backplate,
Engine at an engineers, pistons were bad, (lots of cold starts and cold running i imagine) he is going to bore out the sleeves without taking em out and fit Super Dexta pistons.
Have'nt done anything like this since i was an apprentice agg eng, (about the time this Dexta was built) finding all the old skills, lol, Like the other day i had a laugh when a mate thought he would help screw in the 20 halfshaft studs with a pair of mole grips. Had to show him the Two-nut technique ,
Enough from me, and with you guys helping we'll have fun, jim