Alternator wiring

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
hiking bear
True Blue

Alternator wiring

Post by hiking bear »

Ive read several threads as to wiring for an alternator some of which appear to have been succesful. Could someone give me a diagram for a wiring loom fitted with an alternator and doing away completely with the voltage regulator i.e. not just disconnecting the wires. I do not have any lighting at present. The alternator i have is a Lucas one from a Metro or Mini., its got the 3 pin multi plug type connector. I also read from a later thread that a diode?? needs to be included.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Hiking bear
If you pm or email me I'll send all the details, photo's etc on how I wired my Dexta for Alternator, brake and indicator lights etc. Anybody else is welcome to ask.
regards
jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

what did you use for brake lights? did you have seperate lights or modify the side lights? what are the advantages of using an alternator over a dynamo?
thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

If you want a 'minimal' alternator conversion using a standard Dexta wiring harness, there is a wiring diagram in this thread:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... =8390#8390
All the best
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

The mini type alternator is Ok for a Dexta as it has a built in regulator and make the generator regulator redundant so it can be removed. An Alternator is an Alternating Current generator which has built in rectifying diodes to produce the Direct Current the tractor needs and with a built in regulator is self contained.
The connections to most alternators are:
1. A large connector the carry the heavy current to the battery
2. A smaller connector to 'sense' the voltage actually at the battery terminal as when a heavy current is being passed then you will get a voltage drop along the heavy wire to the battery. The alternator can therefore give out a higher voltage to overcome the drop along the heavy wire, this way the battery gets charged properly.

The rear lights on my Dexta are a rubborlite model which have stop and indicator lights.
The front indicator lights were picked up at a car boot sale.
The brake light switch I installed under the left hand footplate connected to the Brake operating rod via a spring and a Jubille clip fixed to the rod. The Jubilee clip allowed me to adjust the operation of the switch so that a small movement of the brake pedal operated the switch.

Again if you email or PM me I can reply with my diagram and pics.

Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's