tune up

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

tune up

Post by john.n »

i was wondering if anyone has any tips for tuning up an old dexta engine. i have already adjusted the valves up, adjusted the pump timing (had to remove to fix a leaking weld on the block) once started runs well. wondering if there is anything i can do to make starting easyer?

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

HI John n, you seem to have done as much as possible , mybe to get injectors looked at would be a good way to go. but if the engine is to baldly worn that might just be a waste of your hard earned , you could rig up some sort of cold starting set up. ihad acopper pippe fitting with a piece of 6mm copper out of it into the moderen type heater plug that screwed into the monifold, filled this up about once a mth and it did for good few starts, no need to connect into orignal pipe work. there are afew different methods on back posts on how different people have good around or at least helped with cold starting . Gerry

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

my dexta has still got the original cold start primer pump and heater plug. i have read about hard work helping an old engine. cant do any plowing, so would pulling something heavy up a steep hill do any good?

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

if cold start is working and if starter and battery are in good shape, it sounds as if the engine might be worn, possiblely needing a rebuild, hard work can will do no harm if nothing eles it keeps every thing lubracatied.if engine is badly worn all the work in the world will not make it better , eventually you might have to think rebuild, Gerry

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

starts up right away using the cold start but not a hope just cranking. but that was before ive had everything off the engine. dont think the head would need doing in a rebuild looked quite new so trying to avoid taking it off without cause. there is crankcase compression though. no more coming out the breather pipe than the kubota on the yard thats only done 250 hours. what would be a better investment a new clutch or an engine rebuild? the clutch was oily but have used 3 cans of clutch cleaner on it.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

if you could get acompression test done that would let you know if the engine is badley worn , if the head is good it would probley be the bottom end needing done , iwould get a compression test done first , you might be better replacing the clutch plates if there is oil on them, you will need to know where the oil was coming from to get on the plates, best to fix that problem anyway, its all going to cost what ever way you tackle it . Gerry

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

i think the oil was coming from the rear engine oil seal so that was fixed up. managed to split the tractor and put it all back with a 2t trolly jack. from what i can gather an engine hoist is a must have for an engine rebuild. i shall see how its all working when the last few parts arive and it all goes back together (or not)

thanks for your suggestions Gerry