why did ford choose simms injection pumps?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

why did ford choose simms injection pumps?

Post by john.n »

what made ford choose to have simms injection pumps insted of the CAV(i think)pumps on all other perkins engines (i know the dexta engine isnt really a perkins)
was there use on the major the reason for their use on the dexta? so there were less pumps to become used too?

just wondering if anyone knows...

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

They used the Simms pump due to the CAV pump not producing the power that Henry Ford & Son wanted the perkins p3 was 25hp with the CAV pump and using the Simms they got the power to the level they wanted which was 32hp and with better cold starting performance than the CAV. It is well known that Simms injection pumps allways start better than CAV ones.

Regards
James

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

so simms built higher quality pumps? do they inject more fuel or faster delivery? what makes simms better?
i have been wondering why the simms pump for a while, many thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Simms and CAV are the same company and were owned by Lucas.

CAV pumps were an old design and were not as robust, plenty good enough for M-F though. :twisted:

There was also the fact that Fords had a good relationship with Simms having used their pumps from the E1A Majors right through to the '000nd series.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian