security

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

security

Post by john.n »

i have been working on my engine recntly and found the that it has become alot easyer to start. this had me thinking this might make it a alot easyer for anyone to start. on the yard where i intend to use it there is a boy who loves to sit and play with the tractor and mowers ect... i wondered what is the best way to prevent acidental starting? i do have a repro light ignition switch but found anything that will fit the key slot will turn the ignition on. should i put an extra switch in series with the other key switch or put an isolator on the battery?

many thanks

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Try cutting the Starter Solenoid feed in a discreet place and inserting an in-line insulated bullet connector (The female should be the feed and the male the wire to the solenoid). When you want to isolate the tractor just pull the connectors apart and the engine cannot be started.
Simples!
regards

Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Or you could fit a more secure 'ignition' switch, see
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 0251#10251
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

john.n, what you could do as a suggestion, is replace the original starter switch with one that has a spring loaded start position.Wire it up so you have to turn the starter switch to "start" and engage the starter lever at the same time before the starter motor will operate.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:john.n, what you could do as a suggestion, is replace the original starter switch with one that has a spring loaded start position.Wire it up so you have to turn the starter switch to "start" and engage the starter lever at the same time before the starter motor will operate.TSG.
This is how I have my Major wired up. No key, no go. Also safer, as you need to be on the tractor and using both hands to start her. No more standing on the ground, and nearily getting run over.

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

I would disconnect the battery everytime on any tractor new or old when not in use , only takes acouple of seconds , it usally takes acouple of seconds to get them going so like wise a couple of seconds shouldnt and wouldnt be time wasted making them safe, after all they were made for heavey work and can cause a lot of damage and injury if started by a child :) Gerry

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

when i fitted a pre engaged starter to my dexta i fitted a battery isolater in the feed to the starter where the solenoid sat mounted to a bracket.
i have it with the key facing outward and the cables in ward so it cannot be jumped across and makes jumping the starter motor harder to do.
even it you remove the feed to the solenoid you can still start the tractor you need to be able to remove the feed completly so it cannot be done.

Regards
James

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

thank you all for your replies.
i dont wish to make any aleterations to the dash layout or instruments but rather hide the extra switch away somewhere under the tank or near to the solenoid i was thinking.
or is a battery isolator the best way to go?

many thanks

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi John,

We have a number of test cars at work that spend quite a bit of time not being driven. They are all fitted with a simple battery isolator that is like a replacement battery terminal with a screw down knob that connects the battery. They are ideal for security too if you simply unscrew the knob completely and take it home with you. Simple to install too, you just undo the existing battery terminal, replace it with the switch and then bolt the original terminal onto the end of the switch. OK you won't stop a theif with a spanner, but you will stop the kids. I keep on finding them on eBay under "ROADLESS BATTERY CUT OFF SWITCH" while I am looking for Roadless parts. (I know I will never find any bits I need on eBay from Roadless, but it keeps me off the streets at night.)

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Battery Isolator

Post by Bensdexta »

Aussie Frank wrote:They are all fitted with a simple battery isolator that is like a replacement battery terminal with a screw down knob that connects the battery. They are ideal for security too if you simply unscrew the knob completely and take it home with you. Simple to install too, you just undo the existing battery terminal, replace it with the switch and then bolt the original terminal onto the end of the switch. OK you won't stop a theif with a spanner, but you will stop the kids. I keep on finding them on eBay under "ROADLESS BATTERY CUT OFF SWITCH"
Frank,
As you say it appears to be no more than kid proof, as 30secs with a spanner and the isolator can be removed and the cable refitted directly to the battery :(
Is there one, perhaps with a key, that blocks access to the clamping nut on the battery, so the isolator can't be removed without the key?

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

OK, Years ago! (i'm talking of the early 1960's) these battery mounted switches were available as anti-theft devices for cars.
My dad had one on his Ford Classic 1500cc.

This is not just based on memory, I've got the actual switch in my draw, in the garage, amongst the other junk. :oops:

Now, all that you do is fit this sort of switch, to the battery terminal, but using modern 'tamper proof' bolts ( you need a special 'driver' to tighten or loosen them - Like you see in public toilets for example :shock: )

Where's the problem ?
Children won't expect the additional switch, thieves need the special 'driver' to undo the bolts.

Like the meerkats say "simples!" (sorry, UK TV advert joke)

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

looks like the way forward. ill just glue the nut on and grind it off if i ever need to. many thanks

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Yes that should stop kids and casual thieves :wink:

But the serious thief can jump your battery with another battery & leads. Once started a diesel engine needs no electrical power. :(

I'm told fuel cut-offs may allow the engine to run just long enough to load the tractor onto a trailer. :(

It is not obvious how one can lock the steering of a tractor with out hydraulic steering. Perhaps Mr Bean's trick of removing the steering wheel? :wink:

So we are left with physical security, eg secure building chains bollards etc.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

or chain the clutch to the foot plate? but the gears make a great parking brake only problem there.

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Ok if its anti theft as opposed to anti start your looking for I've had my eye on a great ground anchor, chain and lock set to chain down my caravan (my last one was stolen) from here:
http://www.torc-anchors.com/torc-ground-anchor.php

They are Sold Secure Commercial Gold (including plant, agricultural equipment) certified. The biggest chain they do is 19mm! Completly uncroppable but wont stop some one with a plasma cutter gas torch or angle grinder.

If any thief is determined enough thay will take whats yours no matter what security you have
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------