front grilles

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

front grilles

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi guys,

I have painted my 63 super and it looks great so far, I have to now fit new grilles, as I am in Ireland I am told that my dexta would be an "Export" model which means the lights would be on the sides of the nose cone and not in the grilles, so I am reliably told, however I believe that the grilles should be silver in colour with plastic pieces running horizontally across them,

Am I correct, and if so does anyone know where I can get them, as Agriline or my usual suspects do not supply them with the plastic pieces.

If i am wrong in my thinking please let me know.

Thanks,
N

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Nialls,
Our '62 Super Dexta's (in Canada) came painted blue/ orange with headlights in silver grills as was a neighbouring Dec. '60 Dexta. All Super Dexta's were reported to be silver.

But, our magazine advert. photos from the period showed them blue, even after June '63. (New Performance Dexta) but I have yet to see a working tractor that colour.
(Dare not even mention the orange ones uncovered in Scotland or Holland!)

From photos, I don't believe all the grills with the side mounted headlights had the bars.
From the parts manual, I see one could order the bars (I doubt plastic) separate from the grills.

Don't know what's a domestic versus an export. Canada's Dextas seem more domestic than export but we have petrols and some parts on our Dextas are for US (market) only.

Headlights on the sides were standard until ~Oct/60 and only an option after but again is that only for domestics?

Not a lot of help but...
Cheers anyway,
Les

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Nialls, I have a 1963 Fordson Super Dexta, and originally painted blue/orange with silver grills , each with two horisontal bars.Headlights are side mounted.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dotty has the grills painted as original.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Thats the one Brian, they are the bars I am looking for that you have painted blue on Dotty, can you tell me where you got them please.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They came with the tractor as she was "returned" from New Zealand.

They were the same on a Super Major, I do not think they are made now so you will just have to find some. They are aluminium castings.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Brian,

Wondering if some tractors were shipped without headlights?

I see none on Dotty?

Cheers,
Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The lens and reflectors were broken so I am still looking for replacements.
Brian

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

Just spotted these on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fordson-super-maj ... 3effa1f164 If you won the auction you would even have two bars spare.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Them grills are for a major, they wont suit a dexta, check them out before you spend your hard earned :) Gerry

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Brian wrote:They came with the tractor as she was "returned" from New Zealand.

They were the same on a Super Major, I do not think they are made now so you will just have to find some. They are aluminium castings.
Gerrv, it was the bars I was pointing out, but good point they are major grills and I maybe should have highlighted that.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.