58 clutch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
greendoglive
Not Quite Blue Yet

58 clutch

Post by greendoglive »

hi folks am having problem with search function have tried looking up clutch for dexta in forums and comes up blank? anyone else?

My question.
clutch stuffed am in process of pricing new single stage 11 inch

Can a double be retrofitted to a 58 or is there major changes required in the bell housing?

I have seen dare i say it MF 35 clutches quite a bit cheaper are these interchangable with the clutch fitted to p3-144 engine.

Also other compatible fordson model clutches?

thoughts please gents.
Dexta 1958?
957E 7905
C25B

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You would need to fit a new gearbox to fit a dual clutch.

Don't think the Fergy bits will fit and why would you want to fit Fergy bits to one of our beautiful little tractors? :D

And PLEASE! The Dexta engine is NOT a P3.144. :roll:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

greendoglive
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greendoglive »

bugger where did i get the idea that it was a p3-144?

thought for some reason the 1958 was 144.. will have to get my head around it all again.

should i have said F3 144?

In the last 5 months have built house from ground up and wife is now imminent with baby number 1 my mind must truly be escaping me. i bow my head for merely mentioning MF in same sentence as the beloved.

thankyou for confirming the dbl clutch question. I think i will be up for a new single kit. Prob best anyway.
Is there an oil seal behind the input shaft?
I noticed a slight drip of oil from just below the shaft today please no please no please no please no please no......
Dexta 1958?
957E 7905
C25B

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Indeed there is an oil seal in the input shaft.

Regards,
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: 58 clutch

Post by Bensdexta »

greendoglive wrote:My question.
clutch stuffed am in process of pricing new single stage 11 inch
See http://www.agrilineproducts.com/partsca ... dexta.html
C0065 Clutch Main Drive Plate Clutch Main Drive Plate 11" Single Dexta £45.00+vat
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I'm always touchy about the Dexta engine, comes from all those blue injections! :D

Perkins only made some ancillary parts like the timing gears and manifolds. Ford specified that no reference was cast into these as to their source.

There were so many differences between the two engines, like oil pump, injection pump, injectors, liners, etc and the blocks and head were made by Ford at their Dagenham casting shop.

Although people have fitted the P3.144 and P3.152 from M-Fs into our poor Dextas, its still not right :twisted:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:I'm always touchy about the Dexta engine, comes from all those blue injections! :D
Brian,
Was our engine not originally a Perkins design, or at least derived from a Perkins design? :?:

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Bensdexta wrote:
"Brian,
Was our engine not originally a Perkins design, or at least derived from a Perkins design? "

I remembered this in the 'Q&A' section of the site.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/qa1.htm#10
Jack

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Ben, the F3.144 is derived from the Perkins P3, but there are so many differences in parts and specifications, that the F3.144 and F3.152 should be,and deserves to be refered to as a Ford engine,not a Perkins engine.The Perkins P3.144 is Perkins interpretation of the F3.144,and the on going development of this engine was the D3.152 as used in the 135. As for fitting a Perkins engine to a Dexta,its just not right. :stress:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

greendoglive
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greendoglive »

Thanks guys . will change out seal is there anything else i should make sure i do while the tractor is split?
also tips for changing the seal .
do i simply remove the thrust bearing and forks for easy access to seal or is it going to be complicated ?

And has anyone have stories of repairing fingers on pressure plate or is it just not worth it.
Dexta 1958?
957E 7905
C25B

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

greendoglive wrote:also tips for changing the seal .
do i simply remove the thrust bearing and forks for easy access to seal or is it going to be complicated ?
See the workshop manual downloadable from fordson-dexta.de :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I know it is another cost but I would not consider repairing the fingers, I would put in a new pressure plate.

But then, I would recommend replacing everything in the clutch housing, pilot bearing, disc, pressure plate, thrust bearing and seal.

It is the most cost effective way unless you like splitting the tractor.
Last edited by Brian on Sat May 29, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

greendoglive
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by greendoglive »

thanks for the convincing i need it .
I will try nd find some new clutch bits down under.
Dexta 1958?
957E 7905
C25B